Lawyer is a person learned in the law; as an attorney, advocate, counsel or solicitor; a person licensed to practice law. (Black's Law Dictionary). It was Rome who developed a class of specialists who were learned in the law, known as jurisconsults (iuris consulti).
- A person, who through a regular program of study, is learned in legal matters and has been licensed to practice his or her profession. Any qualified person who prosecutes or defends causes in courts of record or other judicial tribunals, or who renders legal advice or assistance in relation to any matter.
Lawyer as Advocate is one that pleads in another's behalf; an intercessor.
- To support or defend by argument; to recommend publicly. An individual who presents or argues another's case; one who gives legal advice and pleads the cause of another before a court or tribunal; a counselor. A person admitted to the practice of law who advises clients of their legal rights and argues their cases in court.
In most countries, the government exercise control over official lawyers in order to ensure a steady supply of loyal judges and bureaucrats of the Ministry of Justice. Common lawyers have traditionally regulated themselves through bar associations, despite nominal control by the courts.
The one million lawyers in the U.S. lawyers are the butt of many popular jokes, despite their power and prestige.
- A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a hundred men with guns Mario Puzo (b. 1920), U.S. novelist.
- The US has twice as many lawyers as the rest of the world combined! 
- Abel, Richard L. American Lawyers (1991) excerpt and text search
- Burrage, Michael. Revolution and the Making of the Contemporary Legal Profession: England, France, and the United States (2006) excerpt and text search
- Chroust, Anton-Hermann. The Rise of the Legal Profession in America (2 vol, 1965)
- Nolan, Dennis R. ed. Readings in the History of the American Legal Profession (1980)
- Strickland, Rennard, and Frank T. Read. The Lawyer Myth: A Defense of the American Legal Profession (2008) excerpt and text search
- "Those #X!!! Lawyers," Time April 10, 1978
- Lectric Law Library REFERENCE ROOM.
- Read the Encyclopedia of Law and Economics Online ENCYCLOPEDIA OF LAW & ECONOMICS.
- ↑ Law Encyclopedia West's Encyclopedia of American Law, published by Thomson Gale.
- ↑ Famous Quotes eNotes.com, Inc.