- July 26
- 1603 - James VI of Scotland was crowned King James I of England. He then 'authorised' an English translation of the Scriptures, first published in 1611 and known as the 'Authorised Version', or in America as the 'King James Version' of the Bible.
- 1775 - Benjamin Franklin becomes the 1st Postmaster General.
- 1788 - New York becomes 11th state to ratify the constitution.
- 1971 - Apollo 15 is launched to the Moon.
- July 25
- 1907 - Sir Robert Baden-Powell took some boys camping, in what was a precursor to the scouting movement.
- July 24
- 1725 - Birth of John Newton. Newton is remembered today as the author of several enduring hymns, including 'Amazing Grace' and 'Glorious Things of Thee Are Spoken.' Read about his amazing life here!
- 1758 - George Washington admitted to Virginia House of Burgess on this day.
- 1783 - Simon Bolivar the Liberator of Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Panamá, Peru, Bolivia and champion of the union of American countries was born on this day.
- July 22
- 1822 - Gregor Mendel, a monk who became a pioneer in heredity studies, was born today.
- 1926 - Babe Ruth caught a baseball dropped from an airplane.
- 1933 - Wiley Post became the first man to fly solo around the world.
- 1934 - Notorious gangster John Dillinger was gunned down.
- 1975 - Congress restored the citizenship of Robert E. Lee.