|Founded||January 5, 2005|
|Founder||Jonathan Huang |
Uncyclopedia is a parody encyclopedia project created in January 2005 to lampoon Wikipedia's extensive coverage, by mirroring their style of articles. As of July 2019, it has over 32,000 articles. Popular topics parodied include Global warming, Evolution and Creation, the Bush administration, Conservapedia, and popular culture. A recurring old joke on the site is making up Oscar Wilde quotes as well as quotes by Chuck Norris, Captain Obvious, Kanye West, and Russian Reversals.
Uncyclopedia's userbase, despite being a parody of Wikipedia, supports much of the same liberal material that Wikipedia does, but in a hidden way. It was hosted by Wikia, Jimbo Wales' for-profit webhost, until 14 May 2019. Its lack of standards results in an obviously liberal stance, and much of their satire is directed at Christian and Conservative values. In particular, their article on Conservapedia is composed mostly of hate speech, blatant lies, and labeling Conservatives as "retards". In addition, they attack creationism using a "pro-creationist" article, which mocks creationism by phrases like "evolution will get you sent straight to hell" and "Darwin was a **** Satanist". As 2011, very few pages are in their "Liberal" category.
On January 5, 2013, the majority of Uncyclopedia's userbase migrated to an independent fork located at en.uncyclopedia.co after a long history of disputes with Wikia. On 14 May 2019, Wikia shut down uncyclopedia.wikia.com due to violations of their content policy, and it was moved to independent hosting and the domain uncyclopedia.ca.
Uncyclopedia is far from family friendly; it contains many offensive words and images in its articles. Shortly after Jerry Falwell died (15 May 2007), Uncyclopedia presented an article with the following highly offensive statements:
Jerry Falwell has died.DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD, THE WITCH IS DEAD, THE WITCH IS DEAD, DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD, THE MEAN OL' WICKED WITCH IS DEAD!
Dr. (it is a little known fact that he earned six PhDs) Jerry Fartwell (born: Breadline Era, died: Nappy Headed Imus Era) was a fat [obscenity deleted] bastard and famous mongoloid who re-instituted the hangman's noose in Lynchburg, Virginia (1956).
Update: Uncyclopedia finally deleted the Jerry Falwell article on 10 November 2007.
Uncyclopedia also has an article labeled "Bad Right Wing Jokes and Other Deleted Nonsense". This is an example of Uncyclopedian censorship. Material that is considered serious is generally deleted because it isn't considered humorous.
Articles at Uncyclopedia may also be deleted by being placed on QVFD (Quick Votes For Deletion) or VFD (Votes For Deletion). The difference between the two pages is that only new pages may be put on QVFD and it only takes one administrator vote to delete the page on QVFD, whereas older pages that are not featured may be put on VFD, and it takes 4 or 5 votes net in favor of deletion to delete a page on VFD. Only registered users are permitted to vote on VFD.
Uncyclopedia features an article titled 'Conservatroll' in which it explains how to vandalize Conservapedia and gives a point system for it.
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20110108053209/http://www.netmag.co.uk/zine/discover-interview/the-brains-behind-uncyclopedia
- ↑ http://uncyclopedia.co/wiki/Special:Statistics
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20170706151550/http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Official_Move_Date_Announced:January_5th
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20190512232714/http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Uncyclopedia_is_moving#mw-content-text
- ↑ https://risteq.net/wikis/2019-eviction-uncyclopedia.php
- ↑ http://uncyclopedia.co/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=delete&user=&page=Jerry_Falwell
- ↑ http://en.uncyclopedia.co/wiki/Uncyclopedia:Bad_Right_Wing_Jokes_and_Other_Deleted_Nonsense
- ↑ http://uncyclopedia.co/wiki/QVFD
- ↑ http://en.uncyclopedia.co/wiki/QVFD
- ↑ http://uncyclopedia.co/wiki/VFD
- ↑ http://en.uncyclopedia.co/wiki/VFD