|Wilbur Daigh Mills|
|Former U.S. Representative from Arkansas's 2nd Congressional District|
From: January 3, 1939 – January 3, 1977
|Predecessor||John E. Miller|
|Successor||Jim Guy Tucker|
Wilbur Daigh Mills (May 24, 1909 – May 2, 1992), often referred to as Wilbur D. Mills, was a powerful Democrat segregationist from Arkansas who served for nearly four decades in the United States House of Representatives. His reputation sunk very abruptly after a sex scandal surfaced, and Mills declined to seek re-election in 1976.
U.S. House of Representatives
Mills was a signatory to the 1956 Southern Manifesto in opposition to Brown v. Board of Education which ordered the desegregation of all U.S. public schools. He voted against the Civil Rights Acts of 1957, 1960, 1964, and 1968. He also voted against approving the 24th Amendment, which banned the use of poll taxes in federal elections.
During the presidency of Lyndon Johnson, Mills played a crucial role in the establishment of Medicare and later supported its expansion. Despite initially opposing a single-payer healthcare system, he ultimately sponsored legislation to enact such along with Ted Kennedy in 1974.
- ↑ Smith, Laura (September 18, 2017). In 1974, a stripper known as the “Tidal Basin Bombshell” took down the most powerful man in Washington. Timeline. Retrieved April 18, 2021.
- ↑ Budryk, Zack (February 24, 2021). Fanne Foxe dies at 84, gained notoriety in Wilbur Mills sex scandal. The Hill. Retrieved April 28, 2021.
- ↑ GPO-CRECB-1956-pt4-3.pdf. Congressional Record. Retrieved April 28, 2021.
- ↑ HR 6127. CIVIL RIGHTS ACT OF 1957.. GovTrack.us. Retrieved April 28, 2021.
- ↑ HR 8601. CIVIL RIGHTS ACT OF 1960. APPROVAL BY THE HOUSE OF THE SENATE'S AMENDMENTS.. GovTrack.us. Retrieved April 28, 2021.
- ↑ H.R. 7152. CIVIL RIGHTS ACT OF 1964. ADOPTION OF A RESOLUTION (H. RES. 789) PROVIDING FOR HOUSE APPROVAL OF THE BILL AS AMENDED BY THE SENATE.. GovTrack.us. Retrieved April 28, 2021.
- ↑ TO PASS H.R. 2516, A BILL TO ESTABLISH PENALTIES FOR INTERFERENCE WITH CIVIL RIGHTS. INTERFERENCE WITH A PERSON ENGAGED IN ONE OF THE 8 ACTIVITIES PROTECTED UNDER THIS BILL MUST BE RACIALLY MOTIVATED TO INCUR THE BILL'S PENALTIES.. GovTrack.us. Retrieved April 28, 2021.
- ↑ S.J. RES. 29. CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT TO BAN THE USE OF POLL TAX AS A REQUIREMENT FOR VOTING IN FEDERAL ELECTIONS.. GovTrack.us. Retrieved April 28, 2021.
- ↑ The Cost of the Benefit: How Wilbur Mills's Expansion of Medicare Led to Escalating Medical Costs. East Tennessee State University. Retrieved April 28, 2021.
- ↑ Martin, Jim (September 15, 2018). OPINION: Socialized Medicine — The Orphan Of The New Deal. Daily Caller. Retrieved April 28, 2021.
- ↑ A Timeline of Kennedy’s Health Care Achievements And Disappointments. KHN. Retrieved April 28, 2021.