Zapping the Shrinks
|The power of the zap|
|"just as political candidates were forced to embrace gay rights after having their fundraisers and offices disrupted; psychiatrists were also vulnerable to the power of the zap when it was turned on their conferences."
— Historian David Eisenbach
|The declaration of war against Psychiatry|
|"Psychiatry is the enemy incarnate. ... you may take this as a declaration of war against you."|
Zapping the Shrinks is the anti-scientific method used by the proponents of totalitarian LGBT ideology for influencing the decision-making process of the American Psychiatric Association (APA) that finally led to the unwarranted removal of homosexuality from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual's list of mental disorders after the Board of the APA voted on the issue on December 15, 1973. As Frank Kameny, the leader of the homosexual movement that included the coercive actions and attacks on APA conferences with wildly painted faces and disruption of the proceedings, put it: "At that point they were afraid to say no to us. So they said yes." The "zap"-tactics pioneered by prominent homosexual advocates was later employed by ACT-UP pressure group in the 1980s. The "zap" approach continues even now, shutting down any moral discussion on homosexuality and homosexual relationships within the context of the American Psychiatric Association.
In broader sense, "Zapping the Shrinks" represents attempts, typically made by a pressure group(s), for promoting their own hidden agenda by means of coercive actions, political pressure, and underhanded and manipulative methods, under the fig leaf of "science". Where the "Zapping the Shrinks" approach prevails, the free, unbiased and open scientific research as well as an open dialogue ends. It is replaced by totalitarian cherry-picking of the results and research that supports the hidden promoted agenda and any disturbing or unwelcome evidence is suppressed. Political stances begin to override any scientific data.
In 1963 the Committee on Public Health from the New York Academy of Medicine reported that homosexuality is indeed an illness. The homosexuals are emotionally disturbed individuals who have not acquired the normal capacity to develop satisfying heterosexual relations. In 1968 the 2nd edition of Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-II) enlisted homosexuality in the category Sexual deviations under the code 302.0 in chapter V. Personality Disorders and Certain other Nonpsychotic Mental Disorders. Some homosexuals have gone beyond the plane of defensiveness and started to claim that homosexual deviancy is a "desirable, noble, preferable way of life." After the 1971 annual convention in Washington where an attack of homosexual activists took place, the APA and leaders of the LGBT movement Frank Kameny and Barbara Gittings negotiated over an imposed presence for homosexuals at the APA conferences. Under coercion from the activists, the APA bent over backwards to be understanding and open and left an open door for opportunistic homosexuals and their sympathizers to rush in and use it, not for scientific purposes, but for political purposes. Gradually it became part of the movement for "diversity" under the pretence of bringing all under-represented people into psychology. It was thought to be a very lofty idea on the surface, but it became at the end a bias. Just 10 years later – with no significant new scientific evidence – the homosexual activists’ argument became the new standard within psychiatry. In the 1970s, sexual-radical activists subverted the American Psychiatric Association and American Psychological Association, and forced the removal of homosexuality from the list of mental disorders. 1979 APA president Nicholas Cummings, who was very active in helping homosexuals to be accepted in the APA, maintained that gradually cherry-picking scientific results became the modus operandi and the homosexual "rights" movement sort of captured the APA. Further on, an APA committee that considered the possibility of successful reparative therapy would not permit supporters of that therapy on the committee. "[T]his kind of bias prevails in the APA all under the scientific aura," he said. "[T]he APA has become a monolith. ...The APA has become politically correct. Political correctness rules, not science." Scientific evidence is no longer the basis for APA's policy positions.
- David Eisenbach (2006). Gay Power: An American Revolution. Carroll & Graf, 231. ISBN 978-07867-16333. “Gay Power, " chronicles the tumultuous first wave of the modern gay rights movement. From the first-ever gay student group launched at Columbia University in 1965 to the Gay Liberation Front, the Gay Activists Alliance, and other vanguard organizations that emerged from the Stonewall riots, David Eisenbach draws on archival material and numerous firsthand accounts from the individuals who built the movement. Unlike their predecessors, this new generation of lesbians and gay men spoke as a community, established political clout, appeared openly on television and in the press, demanded equal rights with heterosexuals, and pioneered protest tactics like the "zap," which later ACT-UP employed famously in the 1980s.”
- David DeLeon (1994). Leaders from the 1960s: A Biographical Sourcebook of American Activism. Greenwood Publishing Group, 256–7. ISBN 978-03132-74145. “Along with members of the Gay Liberation Front and anti-war protesters, Kameny stormed the convention, grabbed the microphone and declared,...”
- Mark Meinke. Zapping the Shrinks, May 3, 1971. The Rainbow History Project : Preserving Our Community's Memories. Retrieved on June 21, 2013. “Earlier in April, the newly formed Gay Activists Alliance/DC (GAA), the Gay Liberation Front-DC (GLF) and the Mattachine Society of Washington had laid plans for a major zap of the APA's Convocation. Perry Brass recalls (in his Come Out article chronicling Gay MayDay and the zap) that six members of GAA were given copies of the statement to be read to the psychiatrists following the disruption of the convocation. …... [Following the GayMayDay demonstrations] About thirty people from the GayMayDay Tribe including several members of the Washington commune [GLF House, 1620 S St. NW, Washington, DC] piled into a VW van and a few cars and headed for the [hotel]. Half of the men were in really fabulous drag with wildly painted faces, that accentuated the spontaneous, liberating attitude of brothers in drag ..."…Dr. Kameny recalls "At that point they were afraid to say no to us. So they said yes."”
- Terry A. Hurlbut (Ausgust 24, 2013). Homosexuality: Open Letter to Christie. Conservative News and Views. Retrieved on September 9, 2013. “In fact, the APA made their 1973 decision, only after active, practicing homosexuals gained a majority in the APA and took over the editorship of the DSM. Determined as they were never to change, they declared that they, and others like them, weren’t sick. They grudgingly admitted some people didn’t like that tendency. Then in 1987 they struck the phrase “ego-dystonic homosexuality” from their catalog of mental illness. (The International Classification of Disease still lists it. Or did, as of this publication.)”
- R. Albert Mohler, Jr. (2015). We Cannot Be Silent: Speaking Truth to a Culture Redefining Sex, Marriage, and the Very Meaning of Right and Wrong. Harper Collins, 40–1. ISBN 978-07180-32487. “...the "zap" approach continues even now, ...”
- Interview With Dr. Nicholas Cummings at 2011 NARTH Convention in Phoenix Arizona. NARTH (April 3, 2012). Retrieved on June 21, 2013. “"Political Correctness Rules, Not Science," Says American Psychological Association Past-President in Interview with Dr. Nicolosi …"Unbiased, Open Research [on Homosexuality] Was Never Done," Says Former A.P.A. President in Interview”
- Committee on Nomenclature and Statistics of the American Psychiatric Association (1968). "V. Personality Disorders and Certain other Nonpsychotic Mental Disorders (301—304)", DSM-II Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 2, American Psychiatric Association, 10, 44, 79. “302 Sexual deviations. This category is for individuals whose sexual interests are directed primarily toward objects other than people of the opposite sex, toward sexual acts not usually associated with coitus, or toward coitus performed under bizarre circumstances as in necrophilia, pedophilia, sexual sadism, and fetishism. Even though many find their practices distasteful, they remain unable to substitute normal sexual behavior for them. This diagnosis is not appropriate for individuals who perform deviant sexual acts because normal sexual objects are not available to them. 302.0 Homosexuality”
- Jeffrey Satinover (1996). "1.Neither Scientific nor Democratic", Homosexuality and the Politics of Truth. Baker Books. ISBN 9781441212931.
- 12. Brian Camenker et al. (2017). "2. Gay-Lesbian-Bisexual Health Issues", [http://www.healthhazardsofhomosexuality.info The Health Hazards of Homosexuality What the Medical and Psychological Research Reveals]. MassResistance, 50. ISBN 978-15399-83811.
- Former APA Presidents. American Psychological Association. Retrieved on June 21, 2013. “1979 Nicholas A. Cummings, PhD”