Richard Dawkins, atheist atrocities, and historical revisionism
Dinesh D'Souza took Richard Dawkins to task for engaging in historical revisionism when it comes to the atrocities of atheist regimes and declared Dawkins "reveals a complete ignorance of history".VIDEO
In a recent interview D'Souza declared:
|“|| Richard Dawkins argues that at least the atheist regimes didn't kill people in the name of atheism. Isn't it time for this biologist to get out of the lab and read a little history? Marxism and Communism were atheist ideologies. Stalin and Mao weren't dictators who happened to be atheist; atheism was part of their official doctrine.
It was no accident, as the Marxists liked to say, that they shut down the churches and persecuted the clergy...
Dinesh D'Souza stated in another interview:
|“||As one writer put it, “Leaders such as Stalin and Mao persecuted religious groups, not in a bid to expand atheism, but as a way of focusing people’s hatred on those groups to consolidate their own power.” Of course I agree that murderous regimes, whether Christian or atheist, are generally seeking to strengthen their position. But if Christian regimes are held responsible for their crimes committed in the name of Christianity, then atheist regimes should be held accountable for their crimes committed in the name of atheism. And who can deny that Stalin and Mao, not to mention Pol Pot and a host of others, all committed atrocities in the name of a Communist ideology that was explicitly atheistic? Who can dispute that they did their bloody deeds by claiming to be establishing a “new man” and a religion-free utopia? These were mass murders performed with atheism as a central part of their ideological inspiration, they were not mass murders done by people who simply happened to be atheist.||”|
Karl Marx said "[Religion] is the opium of the people". Marx also stated: "Communism begins from the outset (Owen) with atheism; but atheism is at first far from being communism; indeed, that atheism is still mostly an abstraction."
Vladimir Lenin similarly wrote regarding atheism and communism: "A Marxist must be a materialist, i. e., an enemy of religion, but a dialectical materialist, i. e., one who treats the struggle against religion not in an abstract way, not on the basis of remote, purely theoretical, never varying preaching, but in a concrete way, on the basis of the class struggle which is going on in practice and is educating the masses more and better than anything else could."
Dr. R. J. Rummel, professor emeritus of political science at the University of Hawaii, is the scholar who first coined the term democide (death by government). Dr. R. J. Rummel's mid estimate regarding the loss of life due to communism is that communism caused the death of approximately 110,286,000 people between 1917 and 1987. The atheism in communist regimes has been and continues to be militant atheism that has committed various acts of repression including the razing of thousands of religious buildings and the killing, imprisoning, and the oppression of religious leaders and believers. In the atheistic and communist Soviet Union, 44 anti religious museums were opened and the largest was the 'The Museum of the History of Religion and Atheism' in Leningrad’s Kazan cathedral.
Atheist mass murders in history and the historical illiteracy of many atheists/agnostics
As far the history of atheism in the 20th century, many atheists are not aware of the many murderous atheist regimes which inhabited this historical period (see: Atheists and historical illiteracy). Part of the reason why many atheists are unaware of widespread atheist atrocities during this period is due to atheistic indoctrination in public/secular schools.
Atheists attempting to deny/minimize the roles of atheism/atheists in atheist atrocities
See also: Atheism and the no true Scotsman fallacy
Atheist apologists commonly try to minimize or deny the role of atheism/atheists as far as atheist atrocites. It is as if no true atheist could be involved in mass murder (see also: Atheism and mass murder).
For more information, please see: Atheism and the no true Scotsman fallacy
- Atheists and historical illiteracy
- Richard Dawkins' cult of personality
- Atheism and mass murder
- Richard Dawkins' commentary on Adolf Hitler
- Richard Dawkins and pseudoscience
- Richard Dawkins and Creation Ministries International
- Richard Dawkins and Rabbi Shmuley Boteach
- Resources for leaving atheism and becoming a Christian
- Dimitry Pospielovsky, (December, 1987), A History of Marxist-Leninist Atheism and Soviet Antireligious Policies, Palgrave Macmillan, ISBN 0312381328
- Dimitry Pospielovsky, (November, 1987), Soviet Antireligious Campaigns and Persecutions (History of Soviet Atheism in Theory and Practice and the Believers, Vol 2), Palgrave Macmillan, ISBN 0312009054
- Dimitry Pospielovsky, (August, 1988), Soviet Studies on the Church and the Believer's Response to Atheism: A History of Soviet Atheism in Theory and Practice and the Believers, Vol 3, Palgrave Macmillan, hardcover: ISBN 0312012918, paperback edition: ISBN 0312012926
- ↑ http://insidecatholic.com/Joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1053&Itemid=48
- ↑ http://www.churchinhistory.org/pages/atheism/805-answering-atheists-regarding-war.htm
- ↑ http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1844/manuscripts/comm.htm
- ↑ http://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1909/may/13.htm
- ↑ http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COM.ART.HTM
- ↑ http://books.google.com/books?visbn=0300103220&id=ChRk43tVxTwC&pg=PA165&lpg=PA165&ots=ICIxg28Jud&dq=a+century+of+violence+in+soviet+russia+the+Russian+Orthodox+clergy&ie=ISO-8859-1&sig=C9k9Hr7Vn222WCHf_1iSJOHVsgo#v=onepage&q=&f=false
- ↑ http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/ecumenism/frroman1.aspx
- ↑ http://www.nysun.com/article/23082?page_no=1
- ↑ http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2003/5/7/120250.shtml
- ↑ http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1058/is_26_116/ai_56249447
- ↑ http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=35818
- ↑ http://theworldnow.wordpress.com/tag/around-the-world/asia/china/
- ↑ http://bedejournal.blogspot.com/2008/12/merry-anti-christmas.html
- ↑ Atheists Dodge Their History of Atrocities
- ↑ Atheism
- ↑ Mailvox: the "No True Atheist" defense
- ↑ Mailvox: the "No True Atheist" defense