DeVos was nominated by President Donald Trump and confirmed by the United States Senate in a 51–50 vote, with Vice President Mike Pence casting the tie-breaking vote. This was the first time in United States Senate history that the Vice President was called upon to break a tie vote for a Cabinet nominee.
Rather than spend taxpayer dollars on her travel as the education secretary, DeVos spent her own money on private travel and had the government pay only $184 between assuming office and September 2017 – despite this, the mainstream media covered the story as if she used taxpayer dollars.
In January 2018, DeVos falsely claimed in a speech that "Common Core is dead." In a television interview in March 2018, DeVos agreed with and did not challenge left-wing mainstream media premises on various topics she was questioned on, something that caused her to perform poorly. In May 2018, DeVos stated that schools could call ICE to report the presence of illegal immigrant students, but the following month she caved to left-wing pressure and retracted those comments. On September 5, 2018, DeVos signed a joint declaration at a G-20 meeting of education ministers that promoted left-wing and globalist policies.
- Adams, Becket (September 21, 2017). Here's some proof that headlines really do matter. Washington Examiner. Retrieved September 21, 2017.
- Griswold, Alex (September 22, 2017). Associated Press Horrified That DeVos Flies on Private Plane at Her Own Expense. The Washington Free Beacon. Retrieved September 22, 2017.
- Multiple references:
- Berry, Susan (January 23, 2018). Conservatives Erupt over Betsy DeVos Announcement: ‘Common Core Is Dead’. Breitbart News. Retrieved March 22, 2018.
- Newman, Alex (January 22, 2018). Betsy DeVos Falsely Claims Common Core is Dead. The New American. Retrieved March 22, 2018.
- Perisic, Kyle (January 24, 2018). Betsy DeVos: ‘Common Core Is Dead’. The Daily Signal. Retrieved March 22, 2018.
- No, Common Core is NOT Dead! The New American. April 5, 2018. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- Berry, Susan (March 12, 2018). Betsy DeVos Caves to Left-Wing Media Premises in ’60 Minutes’ Interview. Breitbart News. Retrieved March 22, 2018.
- Sanchez, Luis (June 5, 2018). DeVos backtracks, says schools can't call ICE on students. The Hill. Retrieved June 5, 2018.
- Multiple references:
- Berry, Susan (September 18, 2018). DeVos Signs onto Globalist U.N. Education Agenda, Grassroots Parents Call for Her Dismissal. Breitbart News. Retrieved September 19, 2018.
- Newman, Alex (September 14, 2018). DeVos Signs on to Globalist UN Education Agenda for U.S. The New American (from FreedomProject Media). Retrieved September 16, 2018.
- Rogers, Paige (September 15, 2018). At G20, Betsy DeVos puts America last. NOQ Report. Retrieved September 16, 2018.
- Byrne, Mary (September 6, 2018). Is DeVos Leading or Falling in Line? Truth in American Education. Retrieved September 16, 2018.