A champagne socialist is someone who, while possessed of great riches, supports socialist policies which have the aim of denying prosperity to other members of the community. These hypocrites, common in the Labour Party and elsewhere in the United Kingdom, are similar to limousine liberals in the United States. The term "champagne socialist" derives from a combination of "socialist" and "champagne", an expensive, bubbly wine typically enjoyed by the rich.
- Lord Longford, wealthy British socialist
- Robert Maxwell, socialist MP, publisher and fraudster
- Harold Pinter, socialist playwright and doyen of the Camden Hill Set, a band of resistance fighters against claimed conservative "oppression".
- ↑ Lott, Maxim (March 11, 2019). Lifestyles of the Rich and Socialist: From Chavez to Castro, leaders who lived the high life. Fox News. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- ↑ a munificently wealthy district of west London, where he lives with the former wife of a Lord