Dalai Lama

From Conservapedia
Jump to: navigation, search

If science proves some belief of Buddhism wrong, then Buddhism will have to change.

~ Tenzin Gyatso[1]
Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama

The Dalai Lama is regarded by Gelug Tibetan Buddhists as one of a succession of incarnations of the Bodhisattva of compassion, Chenrezig ("the Seeing-Eye" Lord), who has long been considered to be the patron deity of Tibet. In Tibetan Buddhism, the top 5% is the Dalai Lama with government officials and the priesthood while the other 95% is the serfs.[2][3]

The current Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso, is the fourteenth and is both the head of state of Tibet and the spiritual leader of Tibetan Buddhism, although he has labelled religious belief in recent years as "no longer adequate".[4]

In 1989 he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for leading the non-violent struggle for the liberation of Tibet from Chinese communist oppression. He has consistently advocated policies of non-violence, even in the face of extreme aggression. He also became the first Nobel Laureate to be recognized for his concern for global environmental problems.[5]

In May 1995, the Dalai Lama recognized six-year-old Gedhun Choekyi Nyima as the reincarnation of the Panchen Lama. (Custom dictates that only the Dalai Lama can recognize the reincarnation of the next Panchen Lama, and vice versa.) Days later, the boy and his family were taken into custody by the Chinese government. In November, the government nominated its own puppet Panchen Lama. Despite appeals, the Chinese government has not allowed any outside contact with the kidnapped boy or his family.[6]

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions."

Dalai Lama and politics

An early admirer of Mao Zedong, His Holiness even presented Mao with a poem in 1954 that showered him in praise.[7] However, he has lived in exile in Dharamsala, India, since 1959 due to the Chinese invasion of Tibet. Dharamsala is the current location of the Tibetan Government in Exile.

In a speech to Chinese students at the University of Minnesota on May 2011, he admitted that he considers himself a Marxist, and even considered joining the Communist Party during his youth, although he stated that he was not a Leninist.[8] He has also spoken out publicly against capitalism.[9]

On the other hand, the Dalai Lama takes a relatively conservative approach to immigration, calling on migrants to Europe to return to their homelands to prevent Europe from becoming Muslim or African.[10][11]

Dalai Lama on abstinence

The Dalai Lama has proclaimed a firm position in favor of abstinence, showing that the wisdom of abstaining until marriage is central to many religions around the world. He said, "Sexual pressure, sexual desire, actually I think is short period satisfaction and often, that leads to more complication."[12]

Dalai Lama on the homosexual agenda

The Dalai Lama has said that same-sex marriage is "okay" and a "personal matter," and has condemned homophobia;[13] although he's not exactly comfortable with homosexuality, at least as far as Buddhists are concerned.[14]

External links


  1. Our Faith in Science, The New York Times
  2. https://info-buddhism.com/Human-Rights-in-Tibet-before-1959_Robert_Barnett.html
  3. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/feb/10/tibet-china-feudalism
  4. Dalai Lama tells his Facebook friends that religion "is no longer adequate", io9
  5. http://www.dalailama.com/page.105.htm
  6. http://www.panchenlama.info/
  7. Mao and the Dalai Lama: Collaboration with Communism
  8. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304186404576389523194617398.html
  9. Dalai Lama discusses global economy at UC Santa Barbara, Los Angeles
  10. Duke, Selwyn (June 28, 2019). Dalai Lama: Migrants Must Return to Own Lands — or Europe Becomes Muslim or African. The New American. Retrieved June 28, 2019.
  11. Campisi, Jessica (June 27, 2019). Dalai Lama talks Trump, says European migrants should return to 'their own land'. The Hill. Retrieved June 28, 2019.
  12. Sex invariably spells trouble, says Dalai Lama Nov 28, 2008.
  13. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/dalai-lama-says-gay-marriage-is-ok-9175947.html
  14. Homosexuality and Buddhism