Ellen S. Alberding
Ellen S. Alberding (born 1957), is President of the Chicago-based Joyce Foundation, a liberal, leftwing foundation. She joined the foundation in 1989, managing its investments and directing its grantmaking as their culture program officer. She became president of Joyce Foundation February 2002. She is trustee and advisory board member to several not-for-profit organizations.
Since 2004, Alberding has made $19,350 in campaign contributions to liberal political candidates such as Senator John Kerry and President Barack Obama, a former Joyce Foundation board member from 1994 to 2002.
Alberding is married to Kelly Welsh, EVP and General Counsel of Northern Trust Corporation (Nasdaq - NTRS), a financial holding company. Northern Trust gave a controversial home loan to then-Senator Barack Obama at a significantly discounted rate, which Obama claims he got no special treatment on. According to the Washington Post, "In Obama's case, he received a lower rate than the average offered at the time in Chicago for similarly structured jumbo loans." In addition to Obama's direct ties to Alberding as a fellow board member at Joyce Foundation, Welsh also donated $1,500 to Obama's campaign coffers just one month before Obama was given his home loan in June 2005.
Alberding and Joyce Foundation have also been linked to a controversial program to influence legal scholarship by giving large grants to major universities with the goal of having law students write law review articles supporting the Joyce Foundation’s leftist ideology regarding gun control. Obama was involved in the wealthy foundation’s attempt to manipulate the Supreme Court, buy legal scholarship, and obliterate the individual right to arms. The goal was to influence the legal material used by the Supreme Court during its review of current scholarly writings on the gun control issue.
Joyce Foundation has $773 million in assets. The group is known for its pro-gun control stance and heavily supports several anti-gun groups such as Violence Policy Center. Additionally, it supports numerous far-left not-for-profit organizations such as National Public Radio, Environmental Defense Fund, Pew Charitable Trusts, AFL-CIO Working for America Institute and George Soros-backed groups such as Media Matters for America, run by David Brock who openly “declared war” on Fox News and Center for American Progress run by John Podesta, former White House Chief of Staff and close friend of Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton.
- Honors degree in English from Brown University - 1979
- Masters of Management in finance and marketing from the Kellogg Graduate School of Management at Northwestern University - 1989
- Chicago Tribune January 13, 2002
- People: Joyce exec seeks to do good when economy isn't doing well.
- Joyce Foundation Biography
- Ellen Alberding Campaign Contributions
- Obama Years Ago Helped Fund Carbon Program He Is Now Pushing Through Congress
- Kelly R. Welsh to Join Northern Trust as General Counsel
- "Obama Got Discount on Home Loan", Washington Post July 2, 2008
- THE AUDACITY OF DECEIT, PART 2 Obama's sweetheart-deal home loan
- Joyce Foundation, Obama, and Heller v. D.C
- Obama and the Attempt to Destroy the Second Amendment
- Joyce Foundation's donations retrieved from the database of IRS filings
- Media Matters' war against Fox