John Clement Whitcomb, Jr. (born June 22, 1924) is a theologian and author who is known for his role in the modern creation science movement. He co-authored The Genesis Flood in 1961 with Henry Morris.
Early life and education
Whitcomb spent a year at Princeton University before being drafted into the U.S. Army during World War II, serving in Europe from 1944 to 1946. Before being drafted, in February 1943, Whitcomb was became a Christian and was converted to Christ. Whitcomb served in the Battle of the Bulge and got frostbite due to the cold. After the war, he returned to Princeton, where he earned a B.A. in history in 1948. After that, he went to Grace Theological Seminary in Indiana, graduating first with a M.Div. in 1951, a Th.M. in 1953, and a Th.D. in 1957.
Theologian and creation scientist
In 1953, Whitcomb first heard Dr. Henry Morris speak at Grace College, and after listening to Morris, Whitcomb rejected the gap theory view he once held in favor for young Earth creation. Eight years later, in 1961, he and Morris co-authored The Genesis Flood. The book was instrumental in the development of the modern creation science movement, with even evolutionists like Stephen Jay Gould and the National Center for Science Education acknowledging the impact of the book. In addition, Ken Ham, who would later become the co-founder and president of Answers in Genesis, which built the Creation Museum and Ark Encounter, was greatly impacted by The Genesis Flood.
Whitcomb is married to his wife Norma, and together they have 6 children, 17 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren.
- Dr. Whitcomb - The Whitcombs. Whitcomb Ministries. Retrieved October 15, 2016.
- Dr. John Whitcomb. Answers in Genesis. Retrieved October 15, 2016.
- Ham, Ken (April 22, 2017). D-Day Hero Visits Museum. Answers in Genesis. Retrieved April 22, 2017.
- Looy, Mark (March 2, 2006). He Followed God’s Decrees to the End (Psalm 119:33). Answers in Genesis. Retrieved October 15, 2016.
- Whitcomb, John C. (December 8, 2010). Remembering The Genesis Flood. Answers in Genesis. Retrieved October 18, 2016.
- Looy, Mark & Ham, Ken (February 20, 2011). A Flood of Memories. Answers in Genesis. Retrieved October 13, 2016.
- John C. Whitcomb. Creation Science Hall of Fame. Retrieved October 15, 2016.
- Official website
- Answers in Genesis bio and list of articles written
- Profile at the Creation Science Hall of Fame
- Profile on CreationWiki