Kashmir (Hindi: कश्मीर) is a mountainous region north of India and east of Pakistan that remains a disputed territory between these countries, with China claiming a portion of the region as well. This has led to some tense moments, as both India and Pakistan have nuclear capabilities. Tensions have cooled somewhat in the last few years after an earthquake in the region.
Approximately 7 million people live in the region, the majority of whom are Muslims. Six months of the year, from May to October, the city of Srinagar is the capital, and the other months of the year, the capital moves to Jammu.
In 2019, India revoked the special provincial status of its part of Kashmir.
- ↑ https://edition.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapcf/east/05/24/aksai.chin/
- ↑ http://archive.japantoday.com/jp/news/325184
- ↑ https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/world/kashmir/front.html
- ↑ Kalra, Aditya; Miglani, Sanjeev (August 5, 2019). India scraps special status for Kashmir in step Pakistan calls illegal. Reuters. Retrieved August 5, 2019.
- ↑ Saaliq, Sheikh (August 5, 2019). Q&A: India’s change to disputed Kashmir’s status. Associated Press. Retrieved August 5, 2019.