A merchant was a person whose career was based on the trading of goods. They have been mostly superseded by modern supermarket chains. In some societies such as India, they speak of a merchant class.
- Social class and Economic class
- Upward mobility
- Aristocracy or Nobility
- Bourgeoisie - some say White collar
- Working class - or laboring class - some say Blue collar
- Working class values - American values - Real America
- The poor - peasant or serf class or shudra and untouchables caste
- Welfare state and Class warfare
- Caste system
- Brahmins—priests and scholars
- Kshatriya -- warriors and nobles
- Vaishya -- merchants and farmers
- Shudra—artisans and those of the serf class.
- Untouchables—the lowest social class