Oleh Yaroslavovych Tyahnybok (Oleh Tyanhbok, b. 1968) is a Ukrainian politician and the leader of the Svoboda political party.
Tyahnybok became a member of the far right, ultra-nationalist Social National Party of Ukraine (SNPU) in 1991 following the fall of the Soviet Union. In 1998, Tyahnybok was elected to the Ukrainian Parliament. In parliament he submitted a proposal to recognize of the fighting role of the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists and Ukrainian Insurgent Army during World War II on behalf of Nazi Germany. In a speech aired on television in the summer of 2004 Tyahnybok made comments such as, "[You are the ones] that the Moscow-Jewish mafia ruling Ukraine fears most" and "They were not afraid and we should not be afraid. They took their automatic guns on their necks and went into the woods, and fought against the Muscovites, Germans, Jews and other scum who wanted to take away our Ukrainian state." In April 2005, Tyahnybok co-signed an open letter to President Viktor Yushchenko calling for a parliamentary investigation into the "criminal activities of organized Jewry in Ukraine."
- ↑ https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/1112498132489814017
- ↑ Tiahnybok reelected Svoboda party head, Kyiv Post (8 December 2012)
- ↑ , a former candidate for President of Ukraine Kyiv Post. 22 November 2012. Svoboda tames radicals to get into parliament Article written by Katya Gorchinskaya
- ↑ Олег Тягнибок, Ukrinform
- ↑ Shekhovtsov, Anton (2011). "The Creeping Resurgence of the Ukrainian Radical Right? The Case of the Freedom Party". Europe-Asia Studies 63 (2): 203–228. doi:10.1080/09668136.2011.547696. (source also available here)
- ↑ Tyahnybok: Nationalist, fearful of Russia, favors NATO, Kyiv Post (29 October 2008)
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20051114152743/http://www.ncsj.org/AuxPages/042005Ukr_letter.shtml Ukraine Notables Sign Anti-Semitic Letter, Anti-Semitism in Ukraine, NCSJ, 04.20.2005