Party for Freedom
|Party for Freedom|
|Party leader||Geert Wilders|
|Founded||February 22, 2006|
|Political position|| Fiscal: Left-wing|
|Color(s)||Blue, white, red|
The Party for Freedom (Partij voor de Vrijheid or PVV) is a right-wing and Euroskeptic political party. It currently occupies 15 seats in the Lower House (Tweede Kamer) of the Dutch Parliament. The PVV is unusual in that its leader, Geert Wilders, is its only registered member.
Because of his outspoken views on radical Islam, PVV leader Wilders is under 24-7 police protection:
- In November 2004, "a Muslim fanatic murdered Dutch filmmaker Theo van Gogh for making a movie about the abuse of women under Islam".
In the 2017 elections, although the PVV did not achieve a massive victory as hoped, it saw a rise in votes at the same time when establishment parties either declined or collapsed. Establishment "conservative" [in-name-only] Prime Minister Mark Rutte and several political parties did shift their stances to the political Right in order to attract voters who would otherwise have supported Wilders. Rutte's diplomatic battle with Turkey just before the election served as an example of this.
The party aims to stop immigration, lower taxes, create stricter laws against criminals and terrorists and create basic laws for animal rights.
The PVV's ideology can be difficult to describe and the party is often described as "right-wing" (or "far-right" by the mainstream media) due to its anti-immigration, anti-Islam, pro-Euroskepticism, and pro-Israel stances. The PVV can be left-wing on economic issues and supports the homosexual agenda. Some commentators describe it as "national liberal."
Its leader Geert Wilders celebrated U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as the capital city of Israel and to eventually move the embassy there. He also welcomed Trump's withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal.
- http://www.pvv.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=15&Itemid=5 PVV Fractie
- Resisting threat of fanatical Islam: West must not surrender permanent liberty for temporary tolerance - Geert Wilders, The Washington Times
- Lane, Oliver JJ (March 15, 2017). Dutch Elections: Pyrrhic Victory As Mainstream Party Clings to Power. Breitbart News. Retrieved March 15, 2017.
- Dutch PM Rutte issues open letter wooing right-wing voters. Deutsche Welle. January 23, 2017. Retrieved March 15, 2017.
- Harris, Chris (March 16, 2017). Five takeaways from the Netherlands' election. Euronews. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- Pieters, Janene (March 15, 2017). Row With Turkey will Boost Support for PM Rutte in Dutch Election: Analysis. nltimes.nl. Retrieved March 15, 2017.
- Netherlands approves limited ban on Islamic veils, robes. Fox News (from the Associated Press). June 26, 2018. Retrieved June 26, 2018.
- Bowden, John (June 26, 2018). Netherlands approves ban on face veils in public spaces. The Hill. Retrieved June 26, 2018.
- http://www.pvv.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=788&Itemid=139 PVV Visie
- Official website (In Dutch)