| Schuyler Morris Batson, Sr.
(Southern Baptist clergyman from Louisiana and Mississippi)
|Born|| February 10,1923 |
|Died|| October 9, 1996 (aged 73) |
|Spouse|| Lucile Grogan Batson|
One of four children of John Oscar Batson and the former Nellie May Nicholson, he was named for an uncle, Schuyler Batson (1901-1949). Batson was the twin brother of Ellen Rose Breed (1923-2012), a Baptist laywoman from Jackson, Mississippi. The brother and sister were born in the rural Hillsdale community south of Lumberton in southern Mississippi and reared in Lyman and Gulfport in Harrison County. The two graduated in 1940 from Gulfport High School.
His two brothers were Roy Glen Batson, Sr. (1907-1986) who established a hardware store in Jackson in 1952,  and Dr. Oscar Randolph Batson, Sr. (1916-2004), the dean of the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine and vice chancellor for medical affairs in the 1960s and early 1970s. Batson was a cousin of Dr. Blair Batson, for whom the Blair Batson Children's Hospital in Jackson, an entity of the University of Mississippi, is named..
Batson married the former Lucile Grogan (1927-2009), a daughter of Kenneth Forbes Grogan, Sr. (1886-1975) and the former Effie Bigby (1900-1995) of Edwards, Mississippi, to the west of Jackson. Mrs. Batson graduated from Baptist-affiliated Mississippi College in Clinton. The couple served the Lord Jesus Christ at churches in Indiana, the Emmanuel Baptist Church on Jackson Street in downtown Alexandria, Louisiana, and the First Baptist Church at 431 North State Street across from the state capitol in Mississippi. In Alexandria, the Emmanuel church established a family life center under Batson's leadership. He was thereafter one of twenty-two pastors at the large historic First Baptist Church in Jackson, established in 1838.
The Batsons' son, Schuyler Batson, Jr. (born March 24, 1955), a graduate of Bolton High School in Alexandria, Louisiana College in Pineville, and the New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, has been since January 2017 the Classic Worship pastor at the White Rock campus of large Southern Baptist Lake Pointe Church in Dallas, Texas. Married to the former Debra "Debbie" Traylor, the daughter of the late Barney and Maggie Traylor of Port Barre in St. Landry Parish, Louisiana, Batson, Jr., was formerly the music minister at Lakeside Baptist Church in Dallas, which merged with Lake Pointe. The other Batson children are Dona Batson (deceased), Martha Ellen Batson (born May 6, 1951) of Madison, Mississippi, Jo Sellers Batson (a son born October 4, 1957) of Pasadena, Texas, married to the former Jan Johnson, and Wren Hickman (born April 28, 1964) and her husband, Michael Edward "Mike" Hickman of Dyersburg, Tennessee. A grandson, Jordan Schuyler Batson (born June 1, 1986), is an administrator at the University of North Texas in Denton.
Other Alexandra-Pineville clergy:
- Rev. Schuyler Morris Batson. Geni.com. Retrieved on July 26, 2018.
- Schuyler Batson. Myheritage.com. Retrieved on July 26, 2018.
- Ellen Breed obituary. Tributes.com. Retrieved on July 26, 2018.
- R. Glen Batson. Newspapers.com (January 11, 1986). Retrieved on July 26, 2018.
- O. Randolph Batson, M.D.. The Troy Messenger (January 3, 2005). Retrieved on July 26, 2018.
- Lucile Grogan Batson. Findagrave.com. Retrieved on July 26, 2018.
- Marie Edinger (July 24, 2017). Pastor abruptly resigns from First Baptist Church of Jackson after just one year. Msnewsnow.com. Retrieved on July 26, 2018.
- Schuyler Batson. Facebook. Retrieved on July 26, 2018.
- Schuyler Batson - Minister. Linkdedin.com. Retrieved on July 26, 2018.
- Jordan Schuyler Batson. The Texas Tribune. Retrieved on July 26, 2018.