Shadow banning is where a user is not blocked, but their content is blocked so that nobody can read anything they have produced. It is a way of banning without actually banning. Online platforms are protected from any responsibility of shadowbanning by section 230 of the Communications Decency Act.
James O'Keefe released videos of Twitter engineers discussing how they actively engage in the practice against conservative voices.
- ↑ The Section 230 Illusion
- ↑ 'Project Veritas' Hidden Camera: Twitter And Reddit Use "Shadow Ban" Algorithms to Censor Political Opinions
- ↑ Mainwaring, Doug (January 12, 2018). ‘Shadow banning’: How Twitter secretly censors conservatives without them even knowing it. LifeSiteNews. Retrieved January 13, 2018.
- ↑ Nash, Charlie (January 11, 2018). Twitter Engineer Admits to Banning Accounts that Express Interest in God, Guns, and America. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 13, 2018.
- Twitter Censorship: What Is Shadow Banning?, by Lucas Nolan at Breitbart News