Tommy Robinson is the pseudonym of Stephen Christopher Yaxley-Lennon (born November 27, 1982), the British activist who co-founded and served as spokesman and leader of the English Defence League (EDL), from which he resigned in 2013.
He served what was originally a 13-month prison sentence for contempt of court after publishing a Facebook Live video of Pakistani rape gangs defendants entering a law court in defiance of restrictions on reporting ongoing trials. He was illegally arrested on May 26, 2018 for this, and the judge presiding over his case, Geoffrey Marson, illegally ordered all details related to his arrest and trial, including his identity, to be banned from being published by the country's media.
In response to the illegal actions of the police and the corrupt judge who sentenced Robinson, the politicians standing behind those actions and the liberal media complicitly covering for them by their refusal to report on both the trial and on Robinson's illegal arrest and imprisonment, thousands of British citizens began protesting outside of British Prime Minister Theresa May's residence at 10 Downing Street in London and outside the British Parliament to demand Robinson's release. Other populists, along with Donald Trump Jr., also advocated for Robinson's release.
In a blatant display of double standards, an Islamic activist who violently beat a policeman at a Tommy Robinson rally avoided any jail time and only received a six-month suspended sentence, despite Robinson serving actual jail time for a much longer sentence for a non-violent act.
Robinson was released on bail on August 1, 2018.
On July 11, 2019, Robinson was sentenced to nine months in prison. On September 13, 2019, he was released. A journalist from the Daily Mirror confronted him as he was being interviewed by Rebel Media's Ezra Levant; the journalist accused him of deserving the sentence.
- Rob Barras: "This is the Judge, Geoffrey Marson, responsible for the travesty of Justice today in the #UK namely the arrest and imprisonment of #TommyRobinson on Politically motivated trumped up charges" at Twitter
- Multiple references:
- Right-wing activist Tommy Robinson reportedly jailed after filming outside child grooming trial. Fox News. May 26, 2018. Retrieved May 26, 2018.
- Tomlinson, Chris (May 26, 2018). [Redacted Arrested for [Redacted] Outside [Redacted]: Leeds Crown Court Issues Media Ban]. Breitbart News. Retrieved May 26, 2018.
- Newman, ALex (May 28, 2018). Secret U.K. Proceedings Send Activist to Prison, Gag Media. The New American. Retrieved May 28, 2018.
- Peter Allen: "Today Judge Geoffrey Marson QC sentenced (Tommy Robinson) to death in a secret trial that may not be reported on for an offence that may not be mentioned although it is suspected to be for exposing the extent of child abuse and grooming gangs in Britain" at Twitter
- Multiple references:
- 'Free Tommy Robinson': Trump Jr., European populists slam UK over jailing of right-wing activist. Fox News. Retrieved July 1, 2018.
- British MEP’s microphone turned off in European Parliament for asking ‘approved’ question about Tommy Robinson. Voice of Europe. June 14, 2018. Retrieved June 14, 2018.
- Montgomery, Jack (June 16, 2018). Muslim Activist Who Beat Policeman at Tommy Robinson Rally Spared Prison (Robinson Still Locked Up). Breitbart News. Retrieved June 17, 2018.
- Multiple references:
- Lane, Oliver JJ (August 1, 2018). Tommy Robinson Released on Bail by Court of Appeal. Breitbart News. Retrieved August 1, 2018.
- Murphy, James (August 2, 2018). British Activist Tommy Robinson Freed From Prison. The New American. Retrieved August 3, 2018.
- Delingpole, James (August 1, 2018). Delingpole: Tommy Robinson Is Free. Breitbart News. Retrieved August 1, 2018.
- Montgomery, Jack (August 2, 2018). Tommy Robinson: I Was Kept in Solitary Confinement 23.5 Hours a Day, Excrement Pushed Through Windows. Breitbart News. Retrieved August 2, 2018.
- UK activist Tommy Robinson speaks out after prison release. Fox News Video. August 2, 2018. Retrieved August 3, 2018.
- Montgomery, Jack (August 3, 2018). Tommy Robinson Reveals PTSD Diagnosis to Tucker Carlson, Was Put in Cell Opposite Prison Mosque. Breitbart News. Retrieved August 3, 2018.
- Murphy, James (July 12, 2019). Tommy Robinson Sentenced to Nine Months in Prison for Contempt. The New American. Retrieved July 12, 2019.
- Montgomery, Jack (July 11, 2019). Tommy Robinson Sentenced to Nine Months in Prison. Breitbart News. Retrieved July 18, 2019.