A double standard is a harsher or stricter attitude against someone else than one holds about himself or strangers. Causes of double standards include a lack of forgiveness and political bias.
The double standard in the liberal media is obvious. For example, when someone obscure declares to be a homosexual, it's top of the news; when someone prominent converts to heterosexuality, there is barely a word about it.
Many people undergo dramatic life changes when they wake up to their own double standard, and recognize how they:
- Obama complaining to the poor about the rich, despite how Obama bought a $8.1 million home for himself.
- Liberals use the euphemistic term "groping" to refer to molesting done by other liberals, but insist on referring to it with the highly pejorative term "molesting" if alleged against a conservative.
- Obama did nothing for 8 years about the immense environmental harm caused by the cultivation of plants for marijuana production, and both environmental groups and liberal politicians say and do almost nothing to object to the environmental damage.
- Liberals encouraged Al Gore to refuse to accept the election result in 2000, but then harshly criticizing Donald Trump for merely implying that he might not accept the election result in 2016 depending on whether wrongdoing occurs.
- Bill Clinton's sexual misconduct was no problem at all to liberals, who then attempt to destroy Donald Trump based on mere allegations far less severe.
- a Dem like Tim Kaine can be rude to a woman moderator without a political backlash, but media fury would rain down on any conservative who might act that way.
- liberals are easily amused by their crass, vulgar comments about conservatives, but when Donald Trump criticizes liberals in a similar way, that's a no-no.
- when Donald Trump uses the same verb that an NPR reporter used, in describing analogous political defeats, only the usage by Trump is shockingly vulgar and anti-women.
- Donald Trump is supposed to "correct" a questioner if he says something Obama doesn't like, but Obama is not expected to correct anyone who says something insulting about Trump.
- Indiana is somehow bigoted for defending religious liberty against the homosexual agenda, but the NCAA finale consisted of a mostly white team playing against a mostly black team for its basketball tournament in Indianapolis.
- the deliberately crashing of a jet, killing all 150 on board, is terrorism if done by someone who is religious, but is not terrorism if done by someone who is atheistic
- the second baseman of the New York Mets was silenced because he criticized the homosexual lifestyle, but a few days later the New England Patriots and San Francisco Giants submitted a brief to the U.S. Supreme Court requesting that it create a new constitutional right to same-sex marriage
- hold conservatives to a higher standard than liberals
- a gaffe by a liberal such as Obama is downplayed, but a gaffe by a conservative is national news
- claim a slow recovery after a hurricane when the president is Republican is his fault, but if the president is a Democrat then it isn't
- are just fine with theories of conservative conspiracies, but ridicule exposure of liberal conspiracies as a "conspiracy theory"
- getting angry when personally lied to, yet raising no objection to liberal deceit
- believe what is taught by liberals in school before believing what is taught in the Bible
- hold grudges against others who acted no worse than one's friends
- disparage voters when liberals lose, but act like majority vote means something special when liberals win
- immediately believe anything that is contrary to the Bible, yet reject numerous counterexamples to liberal theories
- question the truth of what conservatives say, while rejecting any questions about the truth of the Democrat claim that Obama is a Christian
- racial remarks by liberals are no problem, but they will try to destroy anyone for making the slightest racial joke or remark against a liberal
- kneeling for a Christian prayer after scoring a touchdown (Tebowing) is somehow offensive, but kneeling for a Muslim prayer after scoring a touchdown is proper
- Liberals claimed to support free speech for decades until conservatives began using First Amendment rights to promote their own views
The son finally decides to return to his father in the Prodigal Son when he realizes that among the people he left his father for, "no one gave him anything," in contrast to his father's generosity. The son had been applying a double standard against his father, but no longer.
A useful approach to avoiding double standards in family situations is to "treat your friends like family, and your family like friends." Had the Prodigal Son done that, he never would have senselessly suffered as he did.
Examples of liberal double standards include:
- When the Republican Majority Leader Trent Lott made a remark with racial implications, he was forced to resign; but when the Democratic Majority Leader Harry Reid made a far more offensive racial remark, liberals defended his remaining in power.
- Wealth by a liberal, such as the tens of millions of dollars made by Al Gore, John Kerry, and Bill Clinton, is just fine; but wealth by a Christian preacher or Republican politician such as Mitt Romney is somehow unacceptable.
- Global warming: Supporters of the Kyoto Protocol (an emissions reduction treaty) say that "correlation is not causation" when scientists point out the dozens of natural climate cycles linking changes in sunspots to changes in Earth's air temperature. But their argument for a runaway greenhouse effect is based on a single period from 1850 to present in which carbon dioxide levels and air temperatures have risen together.
- Evolution: Ardent supporters of the Theory of Evolution blindly accept any study that purportedly "proves" their theory, without addressing (or even allowing the criticism of) any flaws in such studies. But when it comes to alternative theories (whether it be Creationism, intelligent design, or something else), the same people immediately reject them without even studying the details.
- Wikipedia is much harsher in describing conservatives and sites perceived to be conservative. Compare, for example, Wikipedia's entries on Conservapedia and Scholarpedia.
- Liberals supported and participated in a prayer for the late Ted Kennedy led by the chaplain for the House of Representatives, which expressly and repeatedly referenced the Lord, yet the same liberals insist on the censorship of classroom prayer.
- The lamestream media are just fine with Hillary Clinton meeting "with a group investigating the disappearance of American aviator Amelia Earhart." If a Republican Secretary of State did that, then they'd be called a "conspiracy theorist"!
- Liberals blame conservatives for SOPA even though it came out of Hollywood. Attack Lamar Smith almost exclusively for it, even though Republican Hollywood supporters are an abnormality, and give Patrick Leahy, Al Franken, and Chris Dodd a pass for advocating the same thing because they're Democrats.
- Democrats running primaries kicking party members like Joe Lieberman out of their party for disagreeing with them on an issue and having disdain for the decades-nonexistent 'Blue Dogs' and "centrist" Democrats, and yet constantly lecturing Republicans on how they should tolerate any amount of liberalism in their party up to and including voting with the Democrats on any issue and endorsing them for President. Indeed, if Republicans are unsatisfied with even the most severe RINOs, they're "intolerant" "purists" and the Democrats claim to have the higher ground.
- Although the Left has been colluding with Russia since at least the 1930s (including during the Trump Administration), they go hysterical over unfounded claims that conservative Donald Trump somehow colluded with Russia.
- While leftists claim that children who advocate for leftist policies must never be criticized, those same leftists make nasty attacks against conservative minors, nor do they care when the leftist child activists make extremely nasty attacks against conservatives.
- In June 2018, a Muslim activist who violently beat a policeman at a Tommy Robinson rally avoided any jail time and only received a six-month suspended sentence, despite Robinson himself (a right-wing critic of Islam) serving actual jail time for a much longer sentence for a non-violent act.
- See, e.g., the deliberate crashing of a Germanwings jet into the French Alps in March 2015: .
- Williams, Thomas D. (July 1, 2018). Williams: Why Liberals Have Flip-Flopped on Free Speech. Breitbart News. Retrieved July 1, 2018.
- Byas, Steve (February 13, 2018). The Left's Collusion With the Russians Is Nothing New. The New American. Retrieved February 13, 2018.
- Mason, Ian (March 31, 2018). Leftist Journo Kurt Eichenwald Attacks Parkland Survivor, Claims He Thought He Was Insulting Different Conservative Teenager. Breitbart News. Retrieved March 31, 2018.
- Duke, Selwyn (April 2, 2018). Media Double Standard: David Hogg Can Hurl Stones, but Can’t be Criticized. The New American. Retrieved April 2, 2018.
- Montgomery, Jack (June 16, 2018). Muslim Activist Who Beat Policeman at Tommy Robinson Rally Spared Prison (Robinson Still Locked Up). Breitbart News. Retrieved June 17, 2018.