Donald Trump and American Catholics
While President Trump himself is a Presbyterian, he and his administration have enacted many pro-religious liberty and pro-life policies that is supported by most devout Catholics throughout America.
- See also: Donald Trump achievements
In March 2020, after a teacher sued a Catholic school that fired him for violating Church teachings, the Department of Justice led by President Trump defended the school's decision in a state court.
Opinion among American Catholics
President of CatholicVote.org Brian Burch has commented on President Trump's administration as the "most Catholic administration we've had", largely referring to the president's strongly conservative record on social issues.
Differentiation between devout Catholics and Cafeteria Catholics
- See also: Cafeteria Catholic
A poll conducted in December 2019 found that a majority of active Catholics support Donald Trump, giving overall an approval rating of 52%. This is compared to only 32% of less active Catholics who support Trump.
While a poll in February 2020 has concluded that a majority of Catholics prefer a Democrat candidate over Trump in the 2020 presidential election, it is important to note that the same polling organization found that 53% of Catholics don't believe that abortion is intrinsically evil. This is compared to a subset of only active Catholics, 56% of whom believe that abortion is intrinsically evil.
An EWTN/RCP poll conducted in September 2020 reported that Biden was leading Trump among likely Catholic voters; according to the further statistics, those who frequently attend Mass strongly favor Trump, while those who rarely attend services heavily back Biden.
Catholics for Trump
It was announced in early March 2020 that Donald Trump's 2020 presidential campaign will launch a "Catholics for Trump" coalition.
Comparison with Joe Biden's "Catholicism"
- 5 faith facts about Donald Trump: A Presbyterian who collects Bibles
- Religious Liberty: Trump DOJ Defends Catholic School in State Court
- 'The most Catholic administration we've had': Boosters look to capitalize on Trump social issues record
- Poll: Majority of ‘Active Catholics’ Support President Trump
- Poll: Trump Approval Rises Among Catholic Voters, Still Trails Democrat Candidates
- EWTN/RealClear Opinion Poll: Catholics ‘Are Not a Monolithic Group’
- Trump campaign to launch ‘Catholics for Trump’ coalition
- Two references: