| Jessica Ivonne Cisneros|
(Attorney making second bid for Congress against fellow Democrat Henry Cuellar in 2022 in Texas' 28th congressional district)
|Born|| May 24, 1993 |
|Political Party|| Democrat|
Jessica Ivonne Cisneros (born May 24, 1993)  is an attorney and leftist Democrat in her native Laredo, Texas, who in the 2022 U.S. House election in Texas' 28th district is mounting a second consecutive congressional primary campaign against the entrenched U.S. Representative Henry Cuellar, a politician so popular that he is sometimes known as the "King of Laredo."
Cisneros was an intern in Cuellar's office. In her initial race in 2000, Cisneros finished only 2,700 votes behind Cuellar, whose margin in Starr County saved him from defeat. She carries the backing of leftist Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York City, the leader of what is often called "The Squad" and the most visible of far-leftists in the U.S. House. Cuellar then went on to defeat Republican Sandra Whitten, who drew 39 percent of the general election vote.
In 2022, Cisneros and Cuellar will be joined by another primary candidate, Tannya Benavides, an educator and community organizer who supports the communist organization Black Lives Matter. Five Republicans, including Whitten once again, are seeking their party nomination. The new candidates are businessman Ed Cabrera, Steven Fowler of Universal City (a lieutenant colonel in the United States Air Force Reserve who fought in Afghanistan), Roland Rodriguez, and Willie Vasquez Ng (the former chief criminal investigator for the Bexar County District Attorney’s office who later established a security services company).
In the 2022 campaign, Cisneros finished a strong second to incumbent Henry Cuellar. The two will meet in the May 24 runoff election. Cassy Garcia and Sandra Whitten, who also lost to Cuellar in 2020, will face off in the Republican runoff election that same day.
- Jessica Cisneros. mylife.com. Retrieved on December 3, 2021.
- Gus Bova (November 23, 2021). Jessica Cisneros Taker Her Second Shot at the King of Laredo": The primary rematch for Congressional District 28 is a litmus test for Democrats in South Texas.. Texas Observer.
- Panetta, Grace; Scher, Isaac (March 4, 2020). Rep. Henry Cuellar fends off AOC-backed progressive challenger Jessica Cisneros in Texas' 28th district. Business Insider. Retrieved December 3, 2021.
- Two references:
- Texas' 28th Congressional District election, 2020. Ballotpedia. Retrieved December 3, 2021.
- Texas Election Results: 28th Congressional District. The New York Times. Archived version available here. Retrieved December 3, 2021.
- Jessica Cisneros. Ballotpedia.org. Retrieved on December 3, 2021.
- Manchester, Julia (November 18, 2021). Sunrise Movement endorses Jessica Cisneros in primary against Cuellar. The Hill. Retrieved December 3, 2021.
- Downey, Caroline (October 20, 2021). Climate Activist Org Cancels Appearance at DC Statehood Rally over Jewish Groups’ Participation. National Review. Retrieved December 3, 2021.