A few public relations experts have publicly indicated that her 2017 publicity stunt which involved her holding a mock severed head of Donald Trump was a career-ending move. All of her remaining 2017 bookings for stand-up comedy appearances were canceled as a result and she has had no bookings since then. Though she apologized after the incident, she later withdrew the apology.
She drew a lot of public backlash against herself after that infamous publicity stunt. At a news conference, she refused to take responsibility for her actions and said she blamed Trump, claiming in a teary-eyed manner: "He broke me".
The Examining Atheism blog wrote about Griffin:
|“|| Comedian Kathy Griffin identifies herself as a "complete militant atheist".
If she is representative of militant atheists, the ideological foot soldiers of atheism have backbones of jelly!
In another recent controversy, when Trump paid tribute to John McCain via Twitter following the Senator's passing on August 25, 2018, Griffin used the moment in another attention-seeking ploy by lashing out profanely at Trump in response on Twitter, which led to another massive backlash against her on the platform and elsewhere.
- Kathy Griffin needs to do these things to recover from her career-killing Trump 'beheading' stunt, CNBC
- Caralle, Katelyn (April 30, 2018). Kathy Griffin takes back apology for bloody, severed Trump head. Washington Examiner. Retrieved April 30, 2018.
- Blase DiStefano. "Foul-Mouthed and Funny", OutSmart, June 2007. Retrieved on 2007-07-01. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27.
- Teary-eyed militant atheist publicly breaks down and says "He broke me". Militant atheists are such spineless bowls of jelly. The atheist movement is a lost cause, Examining Atheism
- Kathy Griffin Rips Trump's McCain Tribute on Breitbart.com (Warning: Contains foul language)