Kootenai County, Idaho
Kootenai County is east of Spokane, Washington.
- Founded: December 22, 1864
- Named for: Kootenai tribe
- Total area in square miles: 1316
- Total land area in square mile: 1244
- Total water area in square mile: 71. 5.4% of the county's total area is water such as Lake Coeur d'Alene.
- Population in 2010: 138,494
- Population density: 111 persons per square mile
- Time zone: Pacific Time Zone
- Official County Website: KCgov.us
- Bill Jasper of The New American reports: Victory (Temporarily) in Round 1 for Property Rights in Kootenai County, Idaho
Ranking Among the Most Conservative American Counties
Like most Idaho counties Kootenai is mostly conservative Christian libertarian, but not as conservative as its northern Idaho neighbors, Boundary County which vote conservative 85% of the time, and Bonner County, Idaho which votes conservative 80% of the time.
High gun useAccording to David Cole of the Coeur d'Alene Press,
"According to The Kootenai County Sheriff's Office completed processing 2,830 concealed weapons permit applications last year, which is 10 times more than seven years earlier. The number of permit applications increased every year since 2007, except from 2013 to 2014, when the number decreased by 3 percent. The numbers provided Monday by the sheriff's office to The Press are the numbers of permits approved each year, except for those applications submitted in December or later that are still being processed for approval. "It's crazy how much they've increased since 2007," said Undersheriff Dan Mattos. According to the numbers, 2,830 were processed last year, compared with 2,928 approved in 2013. There were 293 approved in 2007. The numbers show more people taking action to ensure their personal safety."
- Kootenai County is part of two geographic areas: the Idaho Panhandle and the Inland Empire.
- Lake Coeur d'Alene contains most of the water area and is the primary recreational attraction in the area.
National Forest and Park Areas
- Interstate 90
- U.S. Route 95
- Athol, Idaho
- Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
- Dalton Gardens, Idaho
- Fernan Lake Village, Idaho
- Harrison, Idaho
- Hauser, Idaho
- Hayden Lake
- Post Falls
- Spirit Lake
- State Line
- State & County QuickFacts, United States Census Bureau, Accessed March 19, 2015.
- Find a County, National Association of Counties. Accessed March 19, 2015.
- "Kootenai County only votes about 65% conservative (compared to 80%-plus for Bonner County and 85%-plus for Boundary County)." Is Coeur d'Alene crazy lefty-liberal like Seattle, Portland?, is in the list of most conservative American cities at City-data.com. Accessed March 19, 2015.
- Sheriff's office flooded with concealed weapons permit applications, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho: Coeur d'Alene Press, Published March 10, 2015. Accessed March 19, 2015.
- Oliveria, D.F., "Everyone's Packing In Kootenai Co", Spokane, Washington, The Spokesman Review, Published March 10, 2015. Accessed March 19, 2015.