List of atheist and agnostic pseudosciences
In the both the physical sciences and social sciences atheism has had a negative effect on science (see: Atheism and science).
Some of the most notable examples of atheistic/agnostic pseudosciences that exist or have existed within the physical science and social science communities are:
None of these are actually about religion, atheism, or agnosticism, though people of various religious persuasions, including atheism and agnosticism, often take strong positions on these scientific subjects.
- Darwinism (biology)
- Pangenesis (biology)
- Lysenkoism (biology)
- Punctuated Equilibrium (biology)
- Old earthism (geology)
See: Atheism and medicine (Traditional Chinese medicine)
- Marxism (economics)
- Marxism-Leninism (economics)
- Socialism (economics)
- Secularization thesis (sociology)
Postsecularism and science
See also: Desecularization
Postsecularism refers to a number of theories concerning the persistence or resurgence of religious beliefs or practices in the present.
The Science Recorder declared in 2015:
|“|| Science and religion are often presented as opposing world views, but a recent study in the American Sociological Review published Jan. 29, suggests that for some Americans, this binary construction (i.e. science vs. religion) is a false dichotomy.
Authors Timothy O’Brien, an assistant professor at the University of Evansville and co-author Shiri Noy, an assistant professor of sociology at the University of Wyoming, call these Americans the “Post-Seculars,” and were surprised to find that one in five Americans belongs to this group, a sizable number given that most of these individuals have gone “unnoticed before in endless rounds of debates pitting” science against religion.
According to O’Brien, “[The Post-Seculars] are pretty knowledgeable and appreciative about science and technology but…are also very religions and reject certain scientific theories.”
- Atheists and the National Academy of Sciences
- Atheism, naturalism and the origin of the universe
- The Devil’s Delusion: Atheism and its Scientific Pretensions
- Atheist cults
- Atheism and irrationality
- Rebuttals to atheist arguments
- Atheism and gullibility
- Atheism is a religion
- Methodological naturalism
- Atheism and deception
- Theories of evolution
- Evolution as a secular origins myth
- ↑ Study discusses emerging trend in science-versus-religion debate: Post-Secularism by Chiamaka Nwakeze | Science Recorder | January 30, 2015