Achievement, particularly high achievement, is related to several key areas: high and realistic expectations; mental ability; having the required knowledge/skill sets to do the job; conscientiousness, interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence; time management; motivation; ability to focus/concentrate on your tasks/objectives; persistence/grit; goal setting, planning; continuous improvement in performance, and character (honesty, accountability, etc.).
The Achievement Factors by B. Eugene Griessman
The "The Achievement Factors," by B. Eugene Griessman is a book which focuses on the characteristics of high achievers. In researching the book, Griessman interviewed 60+ people from numerous fields
Below is a summarized list of what he discovered summarized by coach Bob Starkey:
1. High achievers discover their vocation and their specialty. They find something they love doing.
2. High achievers develop a competency.
3. High achievers manage their time well.
4. High achievers are persistent.
5. They channel their needs and desires into their work
6. They develop the ability to focus and cut out distractions.
7. "High Achievers Function Appropriately in Their Situations Virtually all the high achievers say that, and a large number of them use the word luck to explain their accomplishments. They also mention the importance of mentors and discoverers and teachers."
8. High achievers perceive opportunities and practice lifelong learning. They learn from others feedback.
9. High achievers seize opportunities.
Factors which impede high achievement
- Inadequate preparation (lack of study, relying on poor sources of information, etc.).
- Making excuses
- The Achievement Factors: Candid Interviews With Some of the Most Successful People of Our Time by B. Eugene Griessman, Omni Media; 1st edition (November 1987)
- On the Journey to Achievement by John Patrick Hickey, Motivational Press, Inc. (January 21, 2015)
- Peak Performance Principles by John Noe, Frederick Fell Publishers (June 1, 2005)
- THE ACHIEVEMENT FACTORS by Bob Starkey