Ewald Max Hoyer
|Ewald Max Hoyer|
1907 – 1910
|Preceded by||First mayor as a village|
|Succeeded by||M. B. Woodward|
Marine, Madison County, Illinois
|Died|| August 11, 1957 (aged c. 94)|
|Resting place||Sunset Memorial Park and Mausoleum at Affton, St. Louis County, Missouri|
|Political party||Democrat |
|Spouse(s)||Minnie Boesenberg Hoyer |
Real estate agent
Ewald Max Hoyer (c. 1863 – August 11, 1957) was a dairyman and real estate businessman who served from 1907 to 1910 as the founding mayor of Bossier City, Louisiana. He was appointed to the post by Governor Newton Blanchard. Though he served in Bossier City, Hoyer continued to live in Shreveport in Caddo Parish, the larger companion city separated from Bossier City by the Red River.
Hoyer was one of four sons and three daughters born in Marine in Madison County in southern Illinois, to Ewald A. Hoyer (1831-1915) and the former Justina Hartman (1837-1916), both German natives. The parents died three days apart; each had expressed a wish not to outlive the other. They are interred in a single grave at New Douglas Cemetery in New Douglas in Madison County, Illinois.
For many years, Hoyer resided at a historic home at 902 Robinson Place in the Highland neighborhood of Shreveport. The Bliss-Hoyer House, was constructed by the planter Abel Bliss but sold to Hoyer. In his later years, Hoyer was a partner with a brother, Hugo Hoyer (1874-1961), in the establishment of Centuries Memorial Park in south Shreveport. A grocer, Hugo Hoyer came to Shreveport in 1896 from St. Louis, Missouri. He was a founder the last surviving director of the Shreveport Chamber of Commerce. He served after 1900 on the Shreveport City Council and helped to plan the old city hall, long since demolished.
Hoyer was succeeded as mayor in 1910 by M. B. Woodward, who was elected and served thereafter for nine years.
- Hugo Hoyer. The Shreveport Times (March 18, 1961). Retrieved on February 12, 2015.
- Louise Stinson (1976). Bossier City History. Retrieved on January 2, 2015.
- Ewald A. Hoyer. Edwardsville Intelligencer (January 4, 1916). Retrieved on February 12, 2015.
- 902 Robinson Place. restorehighland.org. Retrieved on February 12, 2015.