Roger Waters is a singer, songwriter and lyricist, who often plays bass guitar, and sometimes guitars. He is primarily known for being one of the creative geniuses of the progressive rock band Pink Floyd. After leaving the band in 1984, he began a moderately successful solo career. Roger Waters is a well-known philanthropist who gives annually to various religious charities
In February 2022 Waters told an RT interviewer that Russia was responding to NATO provocations: "This war is basically about the action and reaction of NATO pushing right up to the Russian border – which they promised they wouldn’t do when Gorbachev negotiated the withdrawal of the U.S.S.R. from the whole of Eastern Europe." In another interview, Waters said the invasion of Ukraine was "probably the most provoked invasion ever" and refused to "see Russia from the current Russo-phobic perspective".
However he also criticized Putin. In his 2023 address, given at the invitation of Russia, which Mr. Waters said had mounted an “illegal” invasion that he condemned in “the strongest possible terms.” But in his next breath, he said the invasion “was not unprovoked,” and condemned “the provocateurs just as strongly,” in "the strongest possible terms".
On 5 September 2022, the day after Olena Zelenska, wife of Ukrainian dictator Vladimir Zelensky, appeared on the BBC, Waters published an open letter to her. He argued that the West should not support Ukraine with weapons, and that the West, led by the US, was interested in prolonging the war. He urged her husband to end the war based on the Minsk agreements. Waters's concerts in Poland were cancelled following the comments.
Nazism and pro terrorism
German police opened an investigation on Roger Waters wearing Nazi uniform.
Political views & hatred
Roger Waters supported the far-left socialist / Anti-Capitalist Occupy Wall Street movement. He had "accused" the State of Israel of so-called "ethnic cleansing" and “collective punishment” and has also been a supporter of the Anti-Semitic Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions campaign. Waters backed Vladimir Putin's 2014 annexation of Ukraine's Crimea Peninsula and claimed that Russia's actions were "provoked" by the ouster of Ukraine's former president Viktor Yanukovych. Waters has a very dark side with disturbing views. Waters has been spreading his bigotry at least since 2017. In 2023, the city of Frankfurt called Roger Waters "one of world's 'best-known antisemites.' Even liberal pro-palestinian Arabist Haaretz define him as an anti-Semite. Former Pink Floyd Lyricist Polly Samson — and Her Husband, David Gilmour, Emphatically Agrees: "Roger Waters Is ‘Antisemitic to Rotten Core.'" As well as "a lying, thieving, hypocritical, tax-avoiding, lip-synching, misogynistic, sick-with-envy, megalomaniac."
In June 2023, Roger Waters responded to former Pink Floyd lyricist Polly Samson’s charge that he is "antisemitic to [his] rotten core" in a tweet from February. He tells his laughing fans: "All I have to say about Polly Samson is: imagine waking up to that every morning." This is after declaring that he loves all of his "brothers and sisters…irrespective of their ethnicity, or religion or nationality…well with one possible exception."...
In 2023, "newly discovered footage shows Roger Waters promoting deeply antisemitic views. The newly found footage shows Waters engaging in antisemitic tropes, as well as deeply offensive and nasty attacks on the memory of the Holocaust."
- Robinson, Ellie (7 August 2022). Roger Waters defends branding Joe Biden as a war criminal: "He's fuelling the fire in the Ukraine".
- Rapp, Allison (8 August 2022). Why Rogers Waters Calls Joe Biden 'A War Criminal'.
- Willman, Chris (2023-02-08). Roger Waters Addresses U.N. Security Council, at Russia’s Behest, Urging Peace but Repeating Charge That Ukraine Invasion Was ‘Provoked’ (en-US).
- Roger Waters of Pink Floyd weighs in on the war in Ukraine, again., NYT, Feb 9, 2023
- Nichols, Michelle. "Invited by Russia, Roger Waters tells UN: Ukraine invasion illegal", Reuters, 2023-02-08. (en)
- An Open letter to Mrs Olena Zelenska from Roger Waters, pressenza.com, 05.09.22, Independent Media Institute
- Easton, Adam. "Roger Waters gigs in Poland cancelled amid Ukraine backlash", BBC News, 25 September 2022.
- Pink Floyd founder condemned for wearing SS officer uniform 'where Jews were deported by the Nazis', Fox News, May 24, 2023.
The Simon Wiesenthal Center also condemned the event and called for German authorities to prosecute Waters for invoking and distorting Holocaust images. "Shame on Frankfurt authorities and Mercedes Benz arena in Berlin — a place from where Jews were deported by the Nazis — for providing anti-Semite #RogerWaters this venue for his concert with no concern/care for the Jewish community," the center tweeted.
- Canary Mission @canarymission Tweeted May 24, 2023:
- Greg Norman, Lindsay Kornick, Berlin police investigating Roger Waters for wearing SS officer uniform, Fox News, May 26, 2024.
- David Duke Defends Roger Waters, Algemeiner, May 31, 2023
- Floyd’s Roger Waters Supports the Occupy Wall Street Movement, cbslocal, Nov 10, 2011
- (August 14, 2017) Puder, Joseph. ROGER WATERS: A HYPOCRITE AND ANTI-SEMITE. FrontpageMag. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- (August 30, 2018). Pink Floyd's Roger Waters Backs Russian Takeover Of Crimea, Causing Backlash. Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- Wish You Weren't Here - The Dark Side Of Roger Waters The Dark Side of Roger Waters: A Review of Wish You Weren’t Here, The Tower, May 30, 2018.
- The Observer Vol. 82 No. 8 – August 2017, Published on Aug 1, 2017.
The Bigotry of Roger Waters, 2017.
Waters likes to claim he is a forceful advocate for human rights and that he opposes the Israeli occupation and Israeli government policies. But this is far from the case.
At past concerts Waters has displayed a huge inflatable pig descending from the rafters and emblazoned with the Star of David, and dollar signs with images of Nazi swastikas projected on background screens. This is nasty stuff.If you want to complain about an Israeli government policy or practice, well, write a letter to the prime minister. But no, Waters’ actions are reduced to the lowest common denominator — a purveyor of hatred and bigotry. Just shameful.
- German city cancels Roger Waters performance due to his antisemitism, TOI, Feb 25, 2023.
- Haaretz, Feb 8, 2023
- Chris Willman, Roger Waters Is ‘Antisemitic to Rotten Core,’ Says Former Pink Floyd Lyricist Polly Samson — and Her Husband, David Gilmour, Emphatically Agrees, Variety, February 7, 2023
- Confirmed! Roger Waters IS An Anti-Semite, JBN, Feb 8, 2023
- Campaign Against Antisemitism @antisemitism (June 7, 2023):
Now @RogerWaters responds to former Pink Floyd lyricist @PollySamson’s charge that he is "antisemitic to [his] rotten core" in a tweet from February. He tells his laughing fans: "All I have to say about Polly Samson is: imagine waking up to that every morning." This is after declaring that he loves all of his "brothers and sisters…irrespective of their ethnicity, or religion or nationality…well with one possible exception."...
- Roger Waters' anti-Trump display prompts some concert-goers to walk out in New Orleans: reports, NOLA, Jul 10, 2017
- Harry's Place @hurryupharry (Jul 13, 2023):
Roger Waters saying nasty stuff about Jews, there's a surprise. He picks out Nobel Peace Prize winner and Holocaust survivor Eli Wiesel for particular insult.The Golem
[Shocking, newly discovered footage shows Roger Waters promoting deeply antisemitic views. The newly found footage shows Waters engaging in antisemitic tropes, as well as deeply offensive and nasty attacks on the memory of the Holocaust.]