City Commissioner and Mayor Pro Tempore of Lakeland, Florida
|Assumed office |
|Occupation||Naval aviator, businessman|
|Service/branch||United States Navy|
|Years of service||1986 – 2012|
Scott Franklin is a naval aviator, businessman, and anti-establishment Republican currently running for United States House of Representatives from Florida's 15th congressional district in the 2020 elections, having defeated the establishment-backed incumbent Ross Spano in his party's primary by a close vote.
2020 U.S. House election in Florida's 15th district
Franklin, who had previously supported Rep. Spano in the 2018 Midterms, stated in April 2020 that his run against the incumbent Republican was due to the latter's campaign finance violations. Having received the endorsement of Rep. Matt Gaetz, he won the primary in an upset with just over 50% of the votes cast despite GOP establishment figures including Kevin McCarthy, Marco Rubio, Mario Diaz-Balart, and Liz Cheney backing Spano. Franklin will now face Democrat Alan Cohn in the general election, who received the backing of the DCCC.
A poll in mid-September 2020 conducted for the general election found that Franklin was leading Cohn by seven points. Politico, the Cook Political Report, and RealClearPolitics rate the House seat as "lean Republican".
- Two references:
- Scott Franklin On Why He’s Challenging Ross Spano in GOP District 15 Race
- Gaetz cruises to GOP primary win in reelection battle, says 'voters reward fighters'
- Endorsements - Ross Spano
- Scott Franklin and Alan Cohn compete in the open race for Florida's 15th Congressional District
- Alan Cohn draws backing of national Democratic group in US congressional race against Lakeland's Scott Franklin
- 2020 House Race Ratings
- Who wins 2020? House Election Predictions & Key Races - Politico
- Battle for the House 2020 - RealClearPolitics