|U.S. Representative from Florida's 1st Congressional District|
From: January 3, 2017 – present
|Successor||Incumbent (no successor)|
|Former State Representative from Florida's 4th District|
From: April 13, 2010 – November 8, 2016
Gaetz has been targeted by neocons for among other things his opposition to Saudi Arabian influence on American politics, his opposition to war with Iran, his open contempt for George W. Bush, and his public feud with Liz Cheney.  Their influence may have resulted in him being excluded from Trump's impeachment defense team.
Despite all of the above, Gaetz does have some liberal views on social issues. In 2015, while serving in the Florida state legislature, he sponsored a repeal on its ban on adoption by homosexuals,. In 2019, he defending Rep. Katie Hill (D-CA) before she resigned over a sex scandal. Gaetz also defied conservatives by voting to increase visa caps for high-skilled (i.e., high-paid) workers (2019 roll call h437) and he voted against showing support for the ICE border agents (2018 roll call h337). Although, these were relatively minor bills, and Gaetz has been largely a staunch conservative on immigration. Some of those views on social issues have been reversed, an example would be voting against the radical Equality Act.
In 2021, he was accused of taking a seventeen-year-old girl across state lines for sex, which prompted an FBI investigation. Gaetz denies these claims and has stated that they are the product of an extortion scheme targeting him and his father, former Florida State Senate President Don Gaetz. In the months prior to Donald Trump's departure from office, Gaetz is alleged to have sought a pardon from the President, although both men have denied that such a request was ever made. Meanwhile, leaked texts indicate the possibility of Israeli Embassy involvement in the alleged extortion scheme, which in turn was centered around efforts to raise money to get the now-deceased FBI agent Robert Levinson released from Iranian custody. All parties involved in the alleged scheme have denied that whatever they requested or demanded amounted to extortion; and the Israeli consulate employee involved in the scheme has claimed that he didn't know about the allegations against Gaetz until shortly before they were made public, in the process implying that he may not have been "kept entirely in the loop" about the situation.
- Wong, Kristina (May 23, 2019). Matt Gaetz Delivers Impassioned Foreign Policy Speech: ‘America First Means the American People First’. Breitbart News. Retrieved May 23, 2019.
- Moran, Sean (June 16, 2019). Matt Gaetz: ‘America First’ Means Protecting U.S. Border Before Avenging Japanese Vessels. Breitbart News. Retrieved June 16, 2019.
- Mills, Curt (August 19, 2019). Matt Gaetz Goes to Washington. The American Conservative. Retrieved August 25, 2019.
- Poor, Jeff (November 17, 2019). Gaetz: My Constituents Question Congress Concerns over Russia-Ukraine Instead of U.S.-Mexico Border. Breitbart News. Retrieved November 17, 2019.
- Matt Gaetz says he was kept off impeachment defense team over war powers vote. New York Post.