United Nations Human Rights Council
The Human Rights Council (UNHRC) is a body of the United Nations that is supposed to identify and publicize violators of human rights. Some countries, however, have been able to get elected to the commission and use their membership to conceal their human rights violations, such as genocide and crimes against humanity. Examples include China, Cuba, Saudi Arabia, and Sudan. The UNHRC was created in 2006, replacing the United Nations Human Rights Commission.
Despite its name, the UNHRC is dominated by countries with authoritarian governments that have their own human rights problems.
The United States of America and its allies consider the U.S. to be the world's foremost defender of human rights, but America's opponents have used selective citations to make the U.S. look bad and other countries look good. On June 19, 2018, the Trump Administration announced it would leave the UNHRC due to its hypocrisy and bias against Israel. In August 2018, the UNHRC chose Chilean socialist Michelle Bachelet to lead the agency.
The current leader is Michelle Bachelet which is a known Chilean globalist who served as President before getting the charge. During her last presidency, she legalized abortion, applied an open borders immigration policy and raised taxes.
- Shaw, Adam (September 24, 2019). Venezuela reportedly set to join roster of human rights abusers on UN Human Rights Council. Fox News. Retrieved September 24, 2019.
- Newman, Alex (November 8, 2018). UN “Human Rights” Council Now Officially Controlled by Dictators. The New American. Retrieved November 12, 2018.
- Multiple references:
- Miles, Frank (June 19, 2018). US withdraws from UN Human Rights Council as Haley decries 'cesspool of political bias'. Fox News. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- Donati, Jessica (June 19, 2018). U.S. Withdrawing From U.N. Human Rights Council. The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- Lee, Matthew; Lederman, Josh (June 19, 2018). Trump administration pulls US out of UN human rights council. Associated Press. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- Harris, Gardiner (June 19, 2018). Trump Administration Withdraws U.S. From U.N. Human Rights Council. The New York Times. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- Murphy, James (June 19, 2018). U.S. Set to Withdraw from UN Human Rights Council. The New American. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- Bayefsky, Anne (June 19, 2018). Trump's wise to quit the UN Human Rights Council -- It's an oxymoron not worthy of our respect or support. Fox News. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- Schaefer, Brett D. (June 19, 2018). US withdrawal from the UN Human Rights Council is the right decision. Fox News. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- Newman, Alex (August 10, 2018). Castro-loving Socialist to Lead UN “Human Rights” Bureaucracy. The New American. Retrieved August 11, 2018.