Robert (Bob) Filner is a California-liberal gun grabbing Jewish American Democratic politician, pro-Socialist former member of the United States House of Representatives, representing the 51st district of California, which encompasses the San Diego area. He served 1993 to 2012.
- 1 Resignation amid Sex Scandal
- 2 Sponsored Communist Party "Jobs Bill"
- 3 Congressional Progressive Caucus
- 4 Dining with Fidel Castro
- 5 Links to Democratic Socialists of America
- 6 JStreet Conference
- 7 See also
- 8 External links
- 9 References
Resignation amid Sex Scandal
Filner was elected as mayor of San Diego in November 2012. He resigned less than a year after taking office amid multiple allegations of sexual harassment. He later pleaded guilty to state charges of false imprisonment and battery.
Sponsored Communist Party "Jobs Bill"
H.R. 950, the Job Creation and Infrastructure Restoration Act of 1997 was introduced in the 105th Congress on March 5, 1997 by Congressman Matthew Martinez of California. It had 33 original co-sponsors, including Bob Filner. The primary purpose of this emergency federal jobs legislation was to provide much needed jobs at union wages to crisis ridden cities by putting the unemployed to work rebuilding our nation's infrastructure (schools, housing, hospitals, libraries, public transportation, highways, parks, environmental improvements, etc.) $250 billion is authorized for emergency public works jobs over a five-year period.
The leaders of the Los Angeles Labor Coalition for Public Works Jobs and its only affiliate New York Coalition for Public Works Jobs, were all known supporters or members of the Communist Party USA.
Congressional Progressive Caucus
As of February 20, 2009 Bob Filner was listed as a member of the Congressional Progressive Caucus.
Dining with Fidel Castro
In February 2002 a delegation of California Democratic Party Congressmen and women including Bob Filner, Sam Farr, Diane Watson, and Mike Thompson, together with singer Carole King and representatives of California's rice and wine industries visited Havana as part of the latest effort to change U.S. policy toward Cuba.
Carole King serenaded Fidel Castro with "You've Got a Friend" at a weekend dinner, and U.S. representatives from California shared wines from Napa and Sonoma
Links to Democratic Socialists of America
Like many Congressional Progressive Caucus members, Bob Filner has ties to Democratic Socialists of America.
In July 1996, the Democratic Socialists of America Political Action Committee endorsed Bob Filner, California 50, in that year's Congressional elections.
2000 DSA convention
- DSA honored independent socialist Congressperson Bernie Sanders of Vermont at our last convention banquet, and we have always raised significant funds nationally for his electoral campaigns. At the same time, we were pleased to have Democratic Congressperson and Progressive Caucus member Bob Filner of San Diego introduce Sanders at the convention...
2004 DSA support
- Meanwhile, San Diego DSAers are involved in progressive Democrat Bob Filner’s 51st CD reelection race.
2006 DSA support
DSA supported Filner again in 2006.
2008 DSA event
In 2008 Bob Filner attended a San Diego DSA function organized for City Council candidate Stephen Whitburn.
Donated office to DSA phone bankers
On Saturday, August 10, 1996, over 300 people attended the San Diego Hearing on Economic Insecurity, "a forum intended to hammer home to a message to our elected officials that working America is hurting and to demand that government take corrective action."
- For two hours, a panel that included Congressman Bob Filner (D), California Assemblywoman Denise Ducheny, and five candidates who may soon hold seats in Congress and the California Assembly listened while a steady stream of local people told their stories. Testimony came from workers, seniors, welfare mothers, men and women seeking work and students soon to join … "
The Hearing, involved groups such as the Gray Panthers, the ultra radical National Lawyers Guild, Welfare Warriors and labor unions, but was initiated as a project of San Diego Democratic Socialists of America.
- Conressman Bob Filner donated the use of his campaign office for a week of nightly phone banking by DSA volunteers...
On Oct. 26, 2009, Bob Filner spoke alongside fellow congressmen, homosexual Jared Polis and Jan Schakowsky at the JStreet 2009 Conference. JStreet is a leftist Jewish organization that, according to its website, "was founded to change the dynamics of American politics and policy on Israel and the Middle East"
JStreet has several Democratic Socialists of America members within its leadership.
J Sreet endorsement
In 2008 Filner was endorsed by JStreet PAC.
- Voice of San Diego "Filner Will Temporarily Leave 51st District Vacancy," November 19, 2012
- Condon, Stephanie. "Bob Filner agrees to resign", CBS News, August 23, 2013. Retrieved on August 23, 2013.
- DSA website: Members of the Progressive Caucus (archived on the Web Archive website)
- Congressional Progressive Caucus website: Caucus Member List
- Democratic Left, July/August 1996, page 21
- Democratic Left September 1, 1996, Charging the Elephant: San Diego DSA Kicks Off Convention Week with a Call to Action, Sandra Brow, Herb Shore
- Flickr.com: Rep. Schakowsky at JStreet Conference
- J Street 2008 Annual Report