Essay: This year's best atheist debaters
However, in a 1996 debate with William Lane Craig, Doug Jesseph claimed that the origin of life had a detailed atheistic explanation(s). This confidence was not shared by the highly respected origin of life researcher Stanley Miller. Indeed, in 1996, John Horgan wrote that "Miller seemed unimpressed with any of the current proposals on the origin of life, referring to them as “nonsense” or “paper chemistry.”" In a 1996 edition of Scientific American, Horgan went on to say: "The origin of life is a science writer's dream. It abounds with exotic scientists and exotic theories, which are never entirely abandoned or accepted, but merely go in and out of fashion."
At the atheist blog Common Sense Atheism, the atheist Luke Muehlhauser said of the Craig vs. Jesseph debate: "A very typical debate in which Craig’s opponent is not prepared for Craig’s skill, speed, or organization, and things just get worse for Jesseph as things go along and he falls further and further behind."
In 2010, the worldwide atheist community was challenged to a debate by Creation Ministries International as prominent atheists were speaking at a 2010 global atheist convention in Australia. Richard Dawkins, PZ Myers and other prominent atheists refused to debate Creation Ministries International. Generally speaking, leading evolutionists no longer debate creation scientists because creation scientists tend to win the debates.
See also: Rebuttals to atheist arguments
New Atheist Richard Dawkins and debate
On May 14, 2011, the British newspaper The Daily Telegraph published a news story entitled Richard Dawkins accused of cowardice for refusing to debate existence of God. In The Daily Telegraph article Dr. Daniel Came, a member of the Faculty of Philosophy at Oxford University was quoted as writing to fellow atheist Richard Dawkins concerning his refusal to debate Dr. William Lane Craig, "The absence of a debate with the foremost apologist for Christian theism is a glaring omission on your CV and is of course apt to be interpreted as cowardice on your part."
Atheist community is lacking in confidence
In 2010, Professor Eric Kaufmann, who specializes in religion/irreligion/demographics/politics, wrote:
|“||Worldwide, the march of religion can probably only be reversed by a renewed, self-aware secularism. Today, it appears exhausted and lacking in confidence... Secularism's greatest triumphs owe less to science than to popular social movements like nationalism, socialism and 1960s anarchist-liberalism. Ironically, secularism's demographic deficit means that it will probably only succeed in the twenty-first century if it can create a secular form of 'religious' enthusiasm."||”|
For more information, please see: Atheism and cowardice
Articles about the atheist community lacking in confidence
- Global atheists reject debate challenge
- President of British Humanist Society pulls out of debate with William Lane Craig
- Richard Dawkins, the Cowardly Clown
- Resources for leaving atheism and becoming a Christian
- Evidence for Christianity
- Rebuttals to atheist arguments
- Comedy and satires concerning atheism and evolution (large collection of comedy/satire concerning atheism and evolution)
- Creation scientists tend to win the creation vs. evolution debates
- Press release concerning Michael Martin pulling out of Martin-Bahnsen debate
- Instances of Richard Dawkins ducking debates
- Atheism and Debate
- Conservapedia challenges atheist Penn Jillette to debate - YouTube video
- Atheist Penn Jillete - new magic trick - turns himself into a chicken - YouTube video
- Evolution transforms man into a chicken by Shockofgod
Thunderf00t vs. Ray Comfort
- William Lane Craig’s Debates (Reviews) by Luke Muehlhauser at Common Sense Atheism on February 7, 2009
- Richard Dawkins accused of cowardice for refusing to debate existence of God, The Daily Telegraph, May 14, 2011
- Richard Dawkins, the Cowardly Clown
- Pushing the Antithesis on Greg Bahnsen
- Bahsen at the Stein debate by John Frame
- Shall the religious inherit the earth? - Eric Kaufmann