A fifth column is a group of people or sympathizers who rationally and clandestinely try to undermine a larger group to which it is expected to be loyal. Members may engage in espionage or sabotage within defense lines or within national borders. Per the Encyclopedia Britannica, "A cardinal technique of the fifth column is the infiltration of sympathizers into the entire fabric of the nation under attack and particularly into positions of policy decision and national defense."
The expression dates from the Spanish Civil War in 1936 when the Francoist General Mola, whose forces were threatening Madrid, boasted that he had four columns approaching the city and a fifth column within it.
During the Second World War, when British citizens were anxious about supposed fifth-columnists in the UK, the artist William Heath-Robinson produced a series of cartoons about the Sixth Column, patriotic men and women devoted to frustrating the actions of the Fifth Column. There was also a reference to existence of a Nazi or Hitler Fifth Column being in existence during WWII.
The Internal Security Act of 1950, following the creation of the NATO alliance under the notion of collective security, cited "[t]he experience of many countries in World War II and thereafter with so-called fifth columns with employed espionage and sabotage to weaken the internal security and defense of nations resisting totalitarian dictatorships demonstrated the grave dangers and fatal effectiveness of such internal espionage and sabotage."
Within the United States
In the United States, the Democratic Party has been considered America’s Communist Fifth Column, that is promoting Socialism and social radicalism. It emerged from deep within the U.S. government itself and has reached the point where, as reported in June 2017, even the mention of God and country are topics which trigger microaggressions. The Communist Party USA’s national chairman John Bachtell acknowledged that the Democratic Party is its greatest ally, and is bent on destroying America from within its own infrastructure. Accuracy in Media has reported that "Since 1988, the Communist Party USA has not run its own candidates for president and vice-president, preferring instead to work through the Democratic Party." In 2012, economist Peter Schiff, found that the majority of individuals within the Democratic National Convention’s delegation were enthusiastic supporters of outlawing profitability. As discussed in the cited article, the gravest threat to America's democracy is the Democratic Fifth Column.
In November 2013, the Blaze exposed the origins of a "purposeful, brilliant plan hatched at Columbia University to destroy capitalism, American exceptionalism, Judeo-Christian values, and the American Dream." Allegedly, during the 1980's, Barack Obama and his classmates proudly called themselves socialists, communists, and Marxists. They hated the rich and despised business owners. They spoke about how the "white power structure" had to be dismantled, how business owners be bankrupted, and capitalism destroyed. Everything was allegedly based on "social justice." University students gleefully spoke about one day "taking the system down." The article claimed that America’s decline under then President Obama was not due to mistake, ignorance, or incompetence. The article stated that the decline was due to a purposeful execution of the plan that was hatched while Obama attended Columbia University.
During 2018, the crisis at the Mexican-American border further exposed the intensions of the American Fifth Column. It was reported leftists on both sides of the border and illegal aliens seeking entry into America were collaborating for a purposeful attempt to overwhelm "our system and destroy our borders." Reportedly, the illegal foreigners are people who violate U.S. laws and that the goal of the supporters is to overwhelm our system so we cannot enforce U.S. immigration laws. The cited article claims the border is being controlled by cartels and that the pro-open borders groups are communists and socialists. Democrats are manipulating the U.S. "catch-and-release" immigration policy in the belief that the illegal alien people will be future Democratic voters, thus ensuring Democratic control of the country and policy making.
In July 2019, President Trump called out "The Squad" of democratic congresswomen that have expressed hatred for America and American values. Mr. Trump suggested that these women leave the country, if they do not like it. These congresswomen and many of the 2020 Democratic Presidential candidates have expressed desire to remake America into a socialist country.
In November 2019, U.S. Attorney General William Barr accused Democrats of using their oversight powers to sabotage the executive branch, and he criticized the “resistance” to President Trump while speaking at a conference of the Federalist Society. Barr added, "The fact of the matter is that, in waging a scorched earth, no-holds-barred war of resistance against this administration, it is the left that is engaged in the systematic shredding of norms and the undermining of the rule of law," and what he referred to as a broader erosion in the commander in chief’s rightful authority. Barr traced a “steady grinding down” of executive authority to the mid-1960s, saying the trend had quickened after the Watergate scandal that led to President Richard Nixon’s resignation. Critics of the speech claimed it was overly partisan, even "authoritarian." Calls for Barr’s impeachment, from partisan lawyers and some "legal scholars", soon followed delivery of the speech.
Many political analysts have expressed grave concerns over Black Muslims serving as a Fifth Column within the United States and within the U.S. military. Allegedly, there is a radical contingent of Islamists operating in the U.S. who are willing to provide aid and comfort to enemies of the U.S. One Black Muslim leader, Louis Farrakhan, has publicly expressed their hatred of America.
In March 2003, Sgt. Asan Akbar was alleged to have tossed several grenades into the tents of senior officers at the 101st Airborne's Camp Pennsylvania in Kuwait City. Two officers were killed and 15 were wounded. Akbar is a Black Muslim, who became a Muslim as an adult, and was later convicted of the crimes. In an article entitled "'Fifth Column' within the U.S. armed forces," an analyst wrote: "The murderous insider attack in the 101st could be the precursor for a far larger and more dangerous problem, both for the military and for American society more generally."
- Volubrjotr | politicalvelcraft.org, Rothschild Zionists Are A Fifth Column Within The United States Of America, https://politicalvelcraft.org/2013/11/22/rothschild-zionists-are-a-fifth-column-within-the-united-states-of-america/, Nov. 22, 2013
- David Vaughan, Hitler's Fifth Column", https://www.radio.cz/en/section/talking/hitlers-fifth-column, December 2, 2002
- Claire Ellicot | The Daily Mail, Spy who tricked me: Nazi agents in secret ‘fifth column’ group were fooled by MI5 using fake medals and made-up Gestapo boss called ‘Jack King’ https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6149475/Nazi-agents-secret-fifth-column-group-fooled-MI5-using-fake-medals.html, SSeptember 9, 2018
- Jonathan P. Henderson | THE CONSERVATIVE HISTORICAL REVIEW , The Democratic Party: America’s Communist Fifth Column, https://theconservativehistoricalreview.wordpress.com/2017/06/24/the-democratic-party-americas-communist-fifth-column/, 24 Jun 2017
- the Blaze, What Obama and I Learned at Columbia: How to Destroy America From Within, https://www.theblaze.com/contributions/what-obama-and-i-learned-at-columbia-how-to-destroy-america-from-within, November 11, 2013
- S.Noble | Independent Sentinal, Illegals Say They Will Overwhelm Our System, Destroy Our Borders, https://www.independentsentinel.com/illegals-say-they-will-overwhelm-our-system-destroy-our-borders/, April 29, 2018
- Ezra Dulis | Breitbart, Watch Live: Ocasio-Cortez’s ‘Squad’ Responds to Trump’s Challenge to Leave USA, https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/07/15/watch-live-ocasio-cortezs-squad-responds-to-trumps-challenge-to-leave-usa/, July 15, 2019
- Hannah Knowles | The Washington Post, Attorney General Barr accuses Democrats of ‘war’ on Trump in speech decried as partisan, https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/11/16/attorney-general-barr-accuses-democrats-using-oversight-powers-try-cripple-executive-branch/, November 16, 2019
- Manuel Roig-Franzia | Washington Post, Army Soldier Is Convicted In Attack on Fellow Troops, http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7210-2005Apr21.html?noredirect=on, April 22, 2005
- Free Republic, Black Muslims: A Fifth Column Inside The United States?, http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/1590205/posts, March 4, 2006