Infowars is a paleoconservative libertarian news website, started by Alex Jones, which discusses the United States Constitution, Bill of Rights, an impending police state, preparedness, and opposition to the New World Order. The topics of their news can vary, but usually there is a focus on the Second Amendment and Fourth Amendment, alongside American's upholding their oath to support and defend the Constitution against the police and nanny state.
After Donald Trump surprised mainstream media commentators and won the 2016 elections, he reportedly dialed Alex Jones to thank his audience. "I just talked to kings and queens of the world, world leaders, you name it," the president elect said, according to Jones. "It doesn’t matter. I wanted to talk to you to thank your audience."
Despite criticism in the Liberal Media, Trump had no qualms in using Infowars as a platform. In December 2015, Jones praised Trump as a guest on his alternative news show, claiming that 99 per cent of his listeners were Trump supporters, and Trump had returned the favor, saying, "Your reputation is amazing. I will not let you down."
On August 6, 2018, Facebook, Apple Inc., YouTube, Pinterest and Spotify acted in collusion with each other to ban InfoWars from their respective platforms, in violation of the First Amendment, under specious claims of "hate speech" and "violations" of their terms of service. Not surprisingly, liberal celebrities such as Chelsea Handler, Debra Messing, George Takei, Morgan Freeman and Kathy Griffin took to Twitter to gleefully celebrate the censorship of InfoWars (which led to their pro-censorship tweets being heavily attacked in response on their Twitter accounts), while InfoWars columnist Paul Joseph Watson commented that the real reason behind the coordinated effort by the involved social media companies to censor the site is because of the following reasons:
- Efforts by China and the European Union, as well as by CNN and Democrat congressman Ted Deutch, to force those companies to do their bidding in limiting and censoring free speech and to interfere in American elections.
- The companies in question hold InfoWars responsible for the election of Donald Trump to the Presidency in 2016.
- InfoWars has criticized those companies for abusing their power (including the use of unethical stealth censorship such as shadow banning) and violating the First Amendment by targeting and censoring individuals and outlets for making statements or having views which those companies don't like, as well as for said companies' refusal to debate their ideas, knowing that those ideas are weak and would not withstand legitimate scrutiny or questioning.
- InfoWars also criticized Apple on several occasions for working with and illegally selling data to China's Communist regime, leading Apple to vindictively retaliate against InfoWars in response.
Donald Trump Jr. also weighed in on the issue, remarking on his Twitter account about Democrat senator Chris Murphy openly gloating about the colluding social media companies' collaboration to silence InfoWars from their platforms (while Murphy libeled InfoWars in that same tweet, falsely accusing it of spreading "hate" and "lies"):
|“||A Democrat Senator openly admitting that Big Tech’s censorship campaign is really about purging all conservative media. How long before Big Tech and their Democrat friends move to censor and purge @BreitbartNews, @DailyCaller and other conservatives voices from their platforms?||”|
- How the Fringe Alt-Right Is Trumping Traditional Media
- Donald Trump and the "Amazing" Alex Jones
- Pinterest Removes Alex Jones and InfoWars from Platform in Response to Mashable Press Enquiry at Breitbart.com
- The Real Reason Apple, Facebook, Spotify & YouTube Banned InfoWars at InfoWars
- Hollywood Celebrates Masters of the Universe Banning Alex Jones at Breitbart.com
- Chris Murphy: "Infowars is the tip of a giant iceberg of hate and lies that uses sites like Facebook and YouTube to tear our nation apart" at Twitter
- Donald Trump Jr.: "A Democrat Senator openly admitting that Big Tech's censorship campaign is really about purging all conservative media" at Twitter