Internet atheism web traffic volume
During the period of 2008 to 2012, the atheist community made a concerted effort to spread atheism through means of the internet. However, leading atheist websites saw plunges in web traffic during the latter period of this time. See also: Internet atheism
In 2016, an article entitled 2015 was a terrible year for internet atheism featured Alexa web traffic graphs which indicated that some prominent atheist websites lost a significant portion of their global market share. Since 2012, Freethought Blogs (a collection of atheist bloggers) saw a significant decline in its web traffic.
An article entitled Internet atheism: The thrill is gone! declares:
|“||In 2007, the Bible believer Chuck Norris noted that atheists were making a concerted effort to spread atheism via the internet. As you you will soon see via the graphs below, it has been an abysmal failure! The atheist community flooded the internet with a lot of shallow, ill-reasoned fluff that many in the public quickly dismissed.||”|
For more information see: Internet atheism - post 2007 market share loss
- 1 Decline of YouTube atheism
- 2 Elevatorgate and Richard Dawkins' loss of online influence
- 3 Post sexual harassment allegations against Lawrence Krauss and David Silverman, searches for atheism related topics have dropped markedly
- 4 Reddit atheism
- 5 Ineffectiveness of much of internet material
- 6 Notes
Decline of YouTube atheism
In December 2015, a video entitled What Killed YouTube Atheism? was released giving a number of reasons YouTube atheism saw a big decline.
Elevatorgate and Richard Dawkins' loss of online influence
Graph showing Richard Dawkins' loss of influence post Elevatatorgate
As can be seen by the graph below, by means of embedded code on his website from Quantcast, Quantcast directly measured the web traffic of Richard Dawkins' website. Traffic to Dawkins website is significantly down post-Elevatorgate scandal.
Although his following of Dawkian atheist has significantly waned post-Elevatorgate and due to his generally abrasive manner, he does retain a small cult following (See: Richard Dawkins' loss of influence and Richard Dawkins' cult of personality and Atheist cults).
Recent web traffic according to Quantcast which directly measured Dawkins' website traffic
Alexa ranking of Richard Dawkins' website
- Post sexual harassment allegations against Lawrence Krauss and David Silverman, searches for atheism related topics have dropped markedly
See also: Reddit atheism
In 2013 Reddit atheism lost its main page status
In 2013 it suffered a major setback as it lost its status as a default subreddit (default subreddits are the forums that all non-logged in users see when they visit the site. In other words, the atheism subreddit was removed from its homepage).
In 2016, due to Reddit removing inactive "ghost accounts", Reddit reduced the amount of members in Reddit atheism by 10,000 user accounts.
Reddit atheism has a bad reputation
A June 14, 2013 Mashable article declared: "In recent years, r/atheism has become known for memes, images, quote pictures and other content viewed by some as "low brow."
According to the website Motherboard.com, "The term “reddit atheist” has evolved as a shorthand in recent years for a negative internet cliché, that of the rabid Richard Dawkins supporter, the mansplainer..." 
Historically, the atheist population has often used mockery as a substitution for reasonable discussion/debate and Reddit atheism is a continuation of this tradition (see: Atheism and mockery).
Ineffectiveness of much of internet material
|“|| Atheists are making a concerted effort to win the youth of America and the world. Hundreds of websites and blogs on the Internet seek to convince and convert adolescents, endeavoring to remove any residue of theism from their minds and hearts by packaging atheism as the choice of a new generation. While you think your kids are innocently surfing the Web, secular progressives are intentionally preying on their innocence and naïveté.
What's preposterous is that atheists are now advertising and soliciting on websites particularly created for teens...
Atheism internet outreach efforts, however, Ineffectiveness of atheist internet outreach.
- Internet atheism: The thrill is gone!
- 2015 was a terrible year for internet atheism
- Freethoughtblog.com uses Quantcast to measure their web traffic and the demograghhics of their web visitors - Click to see report
- Internet atheism and skepticism: The thrill is gone!
- What Killed YouTube atheism?
- Richard Dawkins: Skeptic of women? - Salon, July 8, 2011
- Sharing a lift with Richard Dawkins by David Allen Green - New Stateman - 06 July 2011
- Richard Dawkins Torn Limb From Limb—By Atheists - Gawker
- Atheists address sexism issues - USA Today
- Richard Dawkins, check the evidence on the 'chilly climate' for women by Emily Band, The Guardian, July 24, 2011
- Richard Dawkins and male privilege By Phil Plait, Discover Magazine, July 5, 2011 10:30 am
- 2012 has been a very BAD year for Richard Dawkins's website according to Quantcast
- Richard Dawkins' loss of influence
- It Stands to Reason, Skeptics Can Be Sexist Too: I spoke out about sexual harassment among atheists and scientists. Then came the rape threats by Rebecca Watson, Slate, October 2012
- Quantcast - Quantcast Measure
- Web traffic of Richard Dawkins' main website
- Reddit Atheists Have New Leadership After Turbulent Coup
- Reddit dumps r/atheism and r/politics from its default homepage
- Reddit Rapture: How r/atheism Suddenly Lost 10,000 Users