Post Apocalyptic World
The Post Apocalyptic World, or PAW, is a reference to what life and the world might be like after any given cataclysmic event. There are relatively few disasters that might occur to cause such a world. Far more commonly, events occur that cause a temporary localized disaster such as the condition of New Orleans in the months following Hurricane Katrina.
There are several high-risk/low-probability events that can trigger a worldwide "apocalypse". One has to decide what events are worth preparing for. Preparing for the worst possible event has it benefits as it covers preparation for many more likely to occur but less long term events such as earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes, floods, and tornadoes.
- Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) is electromagnetic radiation from an explosion (especially a nuclear explosion) or an intensely fluctuating magnetic field such as a solar storm / solar flare. The resulting electric and magnetic fields may couple with electrical/electronic systems to produce damaging current and voltage surges. A large-yield nuclear warhead detonated at sufficient altitude has the potential to generate an EMP burst that would affect the greater part of the contiguous United States. A solar storm such as hit the Earth in 1859 would fry all satellites in orbit and wipe out a significant portion of the world's electrical devices and electrical grids. Depending on how strong the pulse is, unprotected electronics can be destroyed by the current and voltage surge, especially modern, more intricate and fragile components.
- Great Quakes, Volcanic eruptions and Hurricanes , while incapable of causing a worldwide PAW, can create a localized disaster such as the Hurricane Katrina induced Third World conditions that much of the Southeast United States endured in the months following the storm. Tornado and major floods can cause similar devastation, but on a much smaller scale.
- Nuclear attack is perhaps the worst possible man-made apocalypse because it could destroy virtually everything on the surface, causing a worldwide radioactive desert for some number of years forcing all life underground to survive.
Life in a Post Apocalyptic World
This has been the stuff of fiction (e.g. Stephen King's The Stand) and movies (e.g. Mad Max) for decades. It is expected that due to societal collapse the rule of law will be absent as will any form of transportation and utilities. People will be reduced to bartering for goods and services, lynch mob rule regarding crime or further decline into simple nomadic hunter-gatherer gangs. In reality anything could happen but with preparation and dedication to principles and conservative values life even in a PAW can be satisfying and worthwhile.
- SHTF - Stuff Hits the Fan
- TEOTWAWKI - The End of the World as We Know It
- WROL - Without Rule of Law
- Nuclear target structures
- The Terminator
- Revelation, Book of (historical exegesis)