Broad category for all things related to preppers, preparedness, survivalism, survivalists, survivalist retreats and the reasons and concerns that make them prepare. The so-called "Survivalism" or "Prepper" movement is a conservative-libertarian political movement.
The basic concept of Survivalism is that all human beings are inherently survivalists by nature in that they will take actions to preserve and protect their own lives. Such as moving out of the way of a truck that would hit them otherwise. It simply acknowledges that such people, organizations, governments, and things can and often will fail.
- 1 To determine what articles belong in the category Survivalism
- 1.1 "...if times get tough, or even if then don't"
- 1.2 Debt is financial cancer
- 1.3 Growing your own food
- 1.4 Food and water storage
- 1.5 Tax is theft
- 1.6 Personal-Localized-Regional-State-National-Global
- 1.7 Renewable energy
- 1.8 Owning land is true wealth
- 1.9 Financial security
- 1.10 You are in control of your life
- 1.11 To Help Determine Categorization Guidelines: Core Survivalism Quotes
To determine what articles belong in the category Survivalism
Here are some major tenets of Survivalism in addition to the Conservative values, Libertarian values, Traditional values, American values, Small town values and Family values, that are accepted by the vast majority of survivalists according to well-known prepper authors-bloggers-podcaster-"authorities" such as Jack Spirko and New York Times best-selling author James Wesley Rawles of the American Redoubt vote with your feet conservative political migration movement, the "grand-daddy of the survivalist movement" Mel Tappan, and also many others including Ragnar Benson, Boston T. Party (Kenneth Royce of Free State Wyoming), Chuck Baldwin, Joel Skousen, Cleon Skousen, Alex Jones, Dave Duffy of Backwoods Home Magazine, M.D. Creekmore, et al.
"...if times get tough, or even if then don't"
- Everything you do to "prepare" for emergencies, disasters or economic turmoil should be blended into your life in a way that improves your life even if nothing disastrous ever occurs. Your preps should improve your life "if times get tough, or even if then don't".
Debt is financial cancer
- Debt is financial cancer! Minimize it, pay it off early and stay away from credit cards. (See National debt and Quantitative easing)
Growing your own food
- Growing your own food is for everyone not just people that want "organic" fruit and vegetables. To produce your own food, even as little as 10% of what you use reduces your dependence on "the system". If nothing else gardening is good for your emotional and physical health and increases the value of any property. See Permaculture for more specifics from a prepper point of view.
Food and water storage
- Food stored-Food preservation (e.g. canning, etc.) is an exceptional tangible investment. Food is increasing in cost faster than just about any investment right now and certainly faster than the rate of inflation. You simply can't lose by storing additional food that you eat on a regular basis.
Tax is theft
- "Tax is theft", the best way to combat it is to understand every legal tax deduction you can take or create. In general most survivalists think "the system" is corrupt, but when it comes to taxation either learn the system or hire a good accountant to work it for you. Every dollar you keep can be used to improve your self-sufficiency, every dollar taken from you can be used to make your dependence on the big government-Welfare state-Nanny state-Police state stronger. Consider how the American Patriots and Founding Fathers felt with the much lesser tyranny of the Stamp Act of 1765 (No taxation without representation) that sparked the American Revolution. See Category:Tax Revolts and Category:Taxation
- Plan for disaster in the following order of priority – Personal-Localized-Regional-State-National-Global. Despite the real possibility of a true economic melt down or catastrophic terrorist attack or some other major global disaster the most probable "disaster" for any individual is personal. Loss of a job, loss of a family member, a fire or localized weather event such as a tornado, hurricane, snow storm, are the most probable threats to impact any individual. So plan and prepare for those first, then continue to build going forward.
- Renewable energy is great if you do it in a way that saves you money (short or long term) but your solar panels are not going to save the planet. Man-made global warming is a scam designed to force the U.S. into a globalist United Nations-controlled taxation system. If you want to promote solar power, wind energy, hydroelectric, etc. the best way is to develop it in a more cost effective manner. Fuel efficient vehicles are also great but the effective implementation of such vehicles requires that they be affordable, well built and well-engineered. The lesson is that the best way to promote "green energy" is via economics.
Owning land is true wealth
- Owning land is true wealth. Individuals should strive to own land in the rural country where taxes are low and big government restrictions are limited. Even if you live in the city finding, buying and improving land within 3–5 hours of your primary residence makes a lot of sense. If you can use it to get out of the city at some point so much the better.
- In addition to food, water and other common survival stores ("preps") use common sense methods of hedging against "disaster" or inflation and the effects of the national debt and quantitative easing. Pragmatic things like, cash emergency funds, precious metals such as silver and gold in the form of coins, good insurance and secondary income-profit streams are not just for people in "the system". These types of protection can make your life a lot less miserable when something goes wrong. Survivalist-preppers make them part of their financial planning.
You are in control of your life
- Your personal philosophy is more important to you than that of any other person. Along with Divine Providence, you are the master of your own life and if you don't agree with another individuals views, great, define, understand and implement your own. The biggest thing you can do is understand that you are in control of your life and that what you do matters. Those two factors have the greatest impact on individual survival across every demographic you can imagine.
To Help Determine Categorization Guidelines: Core Survivalism Quotes
- "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love - Robert Anson Heinlein
This category has the following 103 subcategories, out of 103 total.
Pages in category "Survivalism"
The following 200 pages are in this category, out of 278 total.(previous 200) (next 200)