Essay:State Firearms Laws Ranking
This essay is an original work by TheAmericanRedoubt. Please comment only on the talk page.
Disclaimer: The laws, regulations, and case citations contained within this essay do not constitute legal advice. Laws change frequently. Consult a lawyer if you have legal questions. If you choose to act upon the details cited here without doing your own research, you do so at your own risk.
See Conservapedia:General disclaimer for specific details.
Gun Laws in the 50 States and D.C.
While most Bill of Rights issues have been ironed out at the national level by the Supreme Court and applied to the 50 States (e.g. search and seizure, due process, etc.), the Court has studiously avoided so applying the Second Amendment. Therefore, gun owners have no local Second Amendment protection and are at the legislative mercy of their State, if not their county or city. This foments random peril for any travelling gun owner.
Anti Second Amendment State List
The list of Anti Second Amendment "Unfree states" - Nanny States was established by polling readers/listeners of conservative blogs, conservative podcasts, conservative websites, conservative forums, libertarian blogs, preparedness blogs, and Gun blogs.
- California - Diane Feinstein (worth $41.78 million), Nancy Pelosi (worth $26.43 million), Barbara Boxer, Henry Waxman, Alan Lowenthal (CA-47), Howard Berman, Bob Filner, Jane Harman, Adam Schiff, Brad Sherman, Tom Lantos, Susan Davis, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, San Diego Mayor Bob Filner
- Illinois - Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel (worth $12 million with $6 mil salary), Brad Schneider (IL-10), Jan Schakowsky (IL-9)
- Massachusetts - John Kerry (worth $193 million), Ted Kennedy (was worth $163 million), Barney Frank [D, MA-04]
- New York - former Sen. Hillary Clinton, New York City former Mayor Michael Bloomberg (worth $31 billion), Charles Schumer, Mario Cuomo, Jerrold Nadler, Anthony Weiner, (sexting scandal), Gary Ackerman, Steve Israel, Eliot Engel, Nita Lowey, Jerrold Nadler,
- Vermont - Bernie Sanders
- Washington State - Maria Cantwell (worth $5.56 million)
Qualities of the Free States
A free state suggests:
- Respect for the unalienable rights/civil rights of the Bill of Rights, especially the gun rights / right to self-defense, home security and deterrence against tyranny
- Libertarian values
- Conservative values
- Ludwig von Mises' conservative libertarian Austrian economics and Fiscal conservatism -Capitalist Conservative economic policies of Ron Paul
- Essay:Modern Survivalism: "Essay:if times get tough, or even if then don't", Essay:Debt is financial cancer, Essay:Tax is theft, Renewable energy, Financial security, Essay:You are in control of your life
Advice from James Wesley Rawles of the Survival Blog
According to New York Times best selling preparedness author James Wesley Rawles of The Survival Blog in the American Redoubt, "Because most survivalists are gun owners, gun control laws should be considered a key factor when deciding where you plan to relocate. Do some research. Ideally, you are looking for a state that allows vehicular and “on the hip” open carry, with non-discretionary concealed carry permits, and with non-regulated private party firearms transactions. (No “paper trail.”)"
Mr. Rawles expands on specific progressive police states, "The worst states to for a gun owner to live in are of course the “Locked up and Unloaded” States such as Neu Jersey and Kalifornia. According to the NRA-ILA, under California law, to legally have an unloaded handgun in your car outside of a locked container you must be going to or from a shooting range, to or from a gun show, or on a hunting trip. Otherwise, they must be both unloaded and locked in a case or in the vehicle’s locked trunk. (See California Penal Code sec. 12025 and 12026 for details.) I suppose that means that if you want to carry an unloaded handgun in your car and don’t want to have to spend extra time both having to take the time to get it out of a locked case AND then loading it, you should always carry a pair of earmuffs, some shooting glasses, and some targets in your car… “But officer, I was planning to go to the range after work!”"
- Essay:Free States Movement
- Strategic relocation vote with your feet from an unfree state to a free state
- American Redoubt: Idaho, Montana, Eastern Oregon, Wyoming, Eastern Oregon
- Survivalist retreat
- Essay:Survivalist Retreat Potential Rank
- Essay:Gun Enthusiast's Glossary of Firearms and Second Amendment Terms
- Essay:Criteria for Choosing a Survivalist Retreat Locale
- Essay:Crime Safety Ranking
- Essay:Length of Growing Season State Rank
- Essay:Population Density of the 50 States Versus Available Farm Land
- Essay:Per Capita Income of the States
- Nuclear target structures
- Bugout Location - Bug-out bag, Bug-out vehicle
- Rawles, James Wesley, Gun Laws as a Criteria for Choosing Your Retreat Locale, Idaho, American Redoubt: The Survival Blog, No publication date listed. Accessed February 12, 2015.
- http://walkingtofreedom.com/forum/index.php?topic=2.0 Accessed March 28, 2014
- http://www.rollcall.com/50richest/the-50-richest-members-of-congress-112th-2012.html Accessed March 29, 2014
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_richest_American_politicians Accessed March 29, 2014
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_members_of_the_United_States_Congress_by_wealth Accessed March 29, 2014
- http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-1426034.html Accessed March 29, 2014
- https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brie Accessed March 28, 2014
- 223 word quotation: Fair Use Source: James Wesley, Rawles (“JWR”), Blanket Conservapedia Fair Use Article Citation Authorization "You are certainly welcome to use up to three quotes of 800 words each, in any of your wiki articles." Authorization Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 09:46:09 -0700. Idaho, American Redoubt: The Survival Blog, 2015, Online. Amazon.com, Accessed February 12, 2015 Gun Laws as a Criteria for Choosing Your Retreat Locale. No publication date listed.