|Auditor of Montana|
From: January 2, 2017 – present
|Successor||Incumbent (no successor)|
|Former State Senator from Montana's 18th District|
From: January 7, 2013 – January 2, 2017
|Former State Representative from Montana's 38th District|
From: January 3, 2011 – January 7, 2013
Matthew Martin “Matt” Rosendale, Sr. (born July 7, 1960, age 60) is a rancher and conservative Republican currently serving as the Auditor of Montana, having previously been in the state legislature. He is also currently running in the 2020 United States House of Representatives elections from the state's at-large district, having previously and unsuccessfully ran for U.S. Senate in the 2018 midterm elections against Democrat Jon Tester.
Auditor of Montana
As Montana's state auditor, Rosendale fought to lower prescription drug prices, despite opposition from Big Pharma in addition to the state's leftist governor Steve Bullock. Rosendale also worked to reduce statewide healthcare costs, successfully lowering premium costs.
2018 Senate run
Rosendale announced in July 2017 his run for U.S. Senate to challenge leftist Democrat Jon Tester, calling out the latter over the “catastrophe of Obamacare”. He later won the Republican primary, having been endorsed by Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, and Mike Lee. Despite strong conservative efforts, however, Rosendale lost the general election to Sen. Tester by less than 4% of the vote, largely due to Tester's incumbency advantage, campaigning as a supposed “moderate”, as well as an overall blue wave in 2018.
2020 House run
Rosendale announced in June 2019 his run for U.S. House of Representatives from Montana's at-large district after the seat was vacated by Greg Gianforte, who is running in 2020 in the statewide gubernatorial election. His bid is endorsed by President Trump. Rosendale won his party's primary election with a plurality of 48% of the vote, and will face Democrat Kathleen Williams in the general election.
- Montana Results 2016
- Keep fighting to lower prescription drug costs
- Bullock vetoes high-profile bill meant to rein in drug prices; says it would do the opposite
- Republican Matt Rosendale Lowers Healthcare Costs for Montanans
- Republican Matt Rosendale Challenging Montana’s Jon Tester
- Senate Candidate Matt Rosendale: We Wouldn’t Have ‘Catastrophe of Obamacare’ Without Jon Tester
- Rosendale Wins Montana GOP Senate Primary — Will Take On Dem Tester
- Montana Election Results 2018
- State Auditor Rosendale Announces for US House
- President Trump endorses Rosendale for US House seat
- Official Website
- Matt M. Rosendale | Commissioner of Securities and Insurance
- Matt Rosendale - Ballotpedia