Sir Roger Scruton (February 27, 1944 – January 12, 2020) was an English philosopher and traditionalist conservative. He was the editor, as well as the co-founder of The Salisbury Review (1982–2001), which is a British conservative political Journal. He wrote over 50 books, with his most notable books as followed: The Meaning of Conservatism (1980), Sexual Desire (1986), The Aesthetics of Music (1997), and How to Be a Conservative (2014). Scruton was knighted in during the 2016 Birthday Honours.
Before becoming a political journalist and editor, he was a lecturer and professor of aesthetics at Birkbeck College, London (1971–1992). He also held part-time positions at Oxford and St Andrews Universities, and he held the position of Senior Fellow at the Ethics and Public Policy Center in the United States. He was awarded the Czech Republic's Medal of Merit (First Class) for aiding underground academic networks in Soviet-controlled Eastern Europe by President Václav Havel in 1998.
Scruton died on January 12, 2020.
- ↑ https://www.jesus.cam.ac.uk/articles/professor-roger-scruton
- ↑ https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/topics/Recipients_of_Medal_of_Merit_%28Czech_Republic%29
- ↑ Multiple references:
- Friedman, Victoria (January 12, 2020). Conservative Philosopher Roger Scruton Dies at 75. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 12, 2020.
- Gualtieri, Allison Elyse (January 12, 2020). Roger Scruton, advocate for aesthetic beauty and conservative British philosopher, dead at 75. Washington Examiner. Retrieved January 12, 2020.
- Davis, Michael Warren (January 12, 2020). The Passing of a Giant. The American Conservative. Retrieved January 13, 2020.
- Delingpole, James (January 12, 2020). Delingpole: RIP Britain’s Greatest Conservative Philosopher, Sir Roger Scruton. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 12, 2020.
- Sir Roger Scruton fought tirelessly for decades to save Western Civilization. LifeSiteNews. January 13, 2020. Retrieved January 13, 2020.
- Birzer, Bradley J. (January 4, 2020). The Hounds in Full Cry: Roger Scruton’s Conservatism. The American Conservative. Retrieved January 14, 2020.
- If Britain Unites, It Will Be Renewed: Previously Unpublished Roger Scruton Interview on Brexit, Migrant Crisis, Breitbart News