U.S. Representative from California's 25th District
|Assumed office |
May 19, 2020
|Preceded by||Katie Hill|
|Born||April 24, 1976|
|Alma mater||United States Naval Academy|
|Service/branch||United States Navy|
|Years of service|| 1999 – 2009 (active)|
2009 – 2012 (reserves)
Michael “Mike” Garcia (born April 24, 1976, age 47) is a businessman, veteran, and conservative Republican who successfully ran in the 2020 U.S. House special election runoff in California's 25th district to succeed the disgraced Katie Hill, a Democrat elected in the 2018 midterm elections who resigned in late 2019 after a sex scandal.
2020 U.S. House election in California's 25th district
After Rep. Katie Hill effectively resigned from office, a special election was triggered to fill the vacancy.
The special election was held on March 3, 2020, concurring with the other primary elections preceding normal general elections for the other congressional district races in California. Garcia finished second place with only 25.4% of the vote, trailing Democrat Christy Smith, but as no candidate garnered a majority of the votes cast, a runoff was triggered between the top two performers as directed under state law.
Despite predictions that had suggested otherwise, Garcia won the special election runoff by a margin of 12% of the vote over Christy Smith, having been endorsed by Donald Trump. This was especially after Smith had downplayed Garcia's military service, making a sarcastic mockery about it. After his victory, his disgraced Democrat predecessor tweeted a tantrum and admitted to crying "for days" over the results.
Garcia ran for re-election to a full House term in November, and again faced Smith. A poll in early August 2020 reported that he was in the lead by seven points. Following many days past November 3rd, Garcia was declared the winner of a very close race, leading by a mere 0.1% margin.
- Republican Mike Garcia Donates Monthly Salary to California Police Foundation
- 2020 California primary results
- CA-25 Special Election Moves From Lean to Likely Democratic
- We think the race for U.S. House in California’s District 25 is a toss-up.
- U.S. House of Representatives District 25 - Districtwide Results
- Watch: Christy Smith Mocks Mike Garcia's Military Service in CA-25 Special Election
- Multiple references: (Warning: Tweet contains foul language)
- ‘F***ing Devastating’: Katie Hill Says She Cried For Days After Republicans Flipped Her Old Seat
- Ex-Dem Rep. Katie Hill says she ‘cried for a few days’ after Republican picked up her seat
- Katie Hill Threw a Tantrum Because Republican Mike Garcia Won Her Vacant Seat
- Katie Hill Warns GOP Flipping Her Old Seat Is ‘No Coincidence’: ‘F**king Devastating’
- The List: 72 Republicans Vote with Democrats to Remove Civil War-Era Memorabilia from U.S. Capitol
- Two references:
- Poll: Republican Mike Garcia Leads Democrat Christy Smith in California
- California Election Results: 25th Congressional District