|Designation|| Minkowski 92|
|Right ascension||19h 36m 18.830s|
|Declination||+29° 32′ 50.86″|
|Type of object||Planetary nebula|
|Distance from Earth||8,000 ly|
|Proper motion|| RA: -11.2 mas/year|
Dec: -4.1 mas/year
The Footprint nebula (Minkowski 92, M1-92, IRAS 19343+2926) is a bipolar planetary nebula in the constellation of Cygnus, the swan. Also known as Minkowski's Footprint, the nebula is composed of two large onion-like structures. There is a star situated at the centre of the nebula. Pulsations on the star's surface are causing it to eject large quantities of material to produce as a strong stellar wind. Electrically charged particles in the ejected material shape the surrounding cloud. The nebula is also a reflection nebula as it reflects the light emmitted by the central star. The clouds of gas and dust are thought to have a mass of 0.9 solar masses. The nebula was observed by the Hubble Space Telescope in the 1990s.
- Footprint nebula. Simbad Astronomical Database. simbad.u-strasbg.fr. Retrieved on 2019-09-27.
- Zacharias, N.; Finch, C. T.; Girard, T. M. et al. (2012). "VizieR Online Data Catalog: UCAC4 Catalogue (Zacharias+, 2012)". VizieR Online Data Catalog: I/322A. Bibcode: 2012yCat.1322....0Z.
- Rare cosmic footprint. spacetelescope.org (2011-07-11). Retrieved on 2019-09-27.
- Minkowski’s Footprint, a protoplanetary nebula in Cygnus. annesastronomynews.com (2014-07-16). Retrieved on 2019-09-27.
- Bujarrabal, V.; Alcolea, J.; Neri, R. (1998). "The Structure and Dynamics of the Proto-Planetary Nebula M1-92". The Astrophysical Journal 504 (2): 915-920. doi:10.1086/306129. Bibcode: 1998ApJ...504..915B. https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1086/306129/fulltext/38252.text.html.