|Former U.S. Representative from Michigan's 8th Congressional District|
From: January 3, 2015 – January 3, 2019
|Predecessor||Michael J. Rogers|
|Former Majority Leader of the Michigan Senate|
From: January 10, 2007 – January 12, 2011
|Former State Senator from Michigan's 12th District|
From: January 8, 2003 – January 12, 2011
|Former State Representative from Michigan's 45th District|
From: January 13, 1999 – January 8, 2003
Michael Dean “Mike” Bishop (born March 18, 1967, age 53) is a Republican attorney and politician who served as the U.S. representative from Michigan's 8th district from 2015 to 2019. He previously served in the Michigan Senate, and in the Michigan House of Representatives before that.
While serving in the Michigan Senate as the Majority Leader, Bishop co-sponsored bipartisan legislation to ban late-term abortion. During this time, Bishop had also co-sponsored a bill to prohibit the requiring of ergonomics rules in workplaces.
United States House of Representatives
After the Obama administration successfully pushed through the Iran nuclear deal, Bishop joined all House Republicans in voting for the Justice for Victims of Iranian Terrorism Act, a bill that would prohibit lifting sanctions on Iran unless the country is held accountable over terrorism.
In the month preceding the 2016 U.S. House election in Michigan's 8th congressional district concurrent with the presidential election that year, Bishop, who was running for re-election, held a mixed view of then-Republican nominee Donald Trump, denouncing him over the Access Hollywood tape and refusing to campaign with him although practical enough to acknowledge political issues as more important than mere words, adding on that: “it's not who you're voting for, it's what you're voting for.”
In October 2017, Bishop joined the majority of House Republicans in voting for the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, a measure that would ban abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy with exceptions for rape and incest.
Bishop voted for the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act in December 2017.
In February 2018, Bishop voted in favor of the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2018, a bill that established appropriations for a variety of government matters.
On May 11, 2018, Rep. Bishop introduced the KITTEN Act of 2018, which would end the USDA's cruel treatment and killing of kittens after using them for experiments; the bill received bipartisan support and praise from an anti-government waste animal rights group, though the legislation ultimately died due to not receiving a vote.
In June 2018, Bishop voted in favor of the Border Security and Immigration Reform Act of 2018, which established both border security provisions and immigration “reform”.
Over the upcoming 2018 election in Michigan's 8th congressional district, Bishop was betrayed by the GOP establishment when the RINO-backing Congressional Leadership Fund super PAC cut $2.1 million in advertising initially intended for Bishop's behalf a month before the general election. Facing the formidable 2018 blue wave, he ultimately lost to Democrat challenger Elissa Slotkin by a margin of less than 4%.
Some have bizarrely claimed that Bishop was somehow a "RINO"; this narrative is extremely misleading, as reliably right-wing outlets like The Gateway Pundit have noted him to be a Trump-supporting, thorough conservative.
- SB 776 - Late-Term/Partial-Birth Abortion Ban - Michigan Key Vote
- SB 93 - Prohibiting Mandatory Workplace Ergonomics Rules - Michigan Key Vote
- Michigan's 8th Congressional District elections, 2014
- S 1 - A Bill to Approve the Keystone XL Pipeline - National Key Vote
- HR 1994 - VA Accountability Act of 2015 - National Key Vote
- HR 3457 - Justice for Victims of Iranian Terrorism Act - National Key Vote
- HR 3134 - Defund Planned Parenthood Act of 2015 - National Key Vote
- HR 1314 - Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015 - National Key Vote
- U.S. Rep. Mike Bishop: I'm done talking about Trump
- Bishop, Shkreli clash on Trump
- HR 849 - Protecting Seniors Access to Medicare Act - National Key Vote
- What US Rep. Mike Bishop is talking to Trump about
- HR 36 - Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act - National Key Vote
- HR 1 - Tax Cuts and Jobs Act - National Key Vote
- HR 4712 - Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act - National Key Vote
- HR 1892 - Bipartisan Budget Act of 2018 - National Key Vote
- HR 5682 - FIRST STEP Act - National Key Vote
- Two references:
- BREAKING: KITTEN Act aims to defund USDA cat killing
- HR 6136 - Border Security and Immigration Reform Act of 2018 - National Key Vote
- HR 6760 - Protecting Family and Small Business Tax Cuts Act of 2018 - National Key Vote
- Multiple references:
- Michigan's 8th Congressional District election, 2018
- Rep. Mike Bishop - Former Representative for Michigan’s 8th District - GovTrack
- Mike Bishop on the Issues
- Conservative Picks for the Michigan Primary
- Multiple references:
- PELOSI Is Pushing Carpetbagger Behind Iranian Regime Nuke Deal and Bribes Against Conservative Mike Bishop — DON’T LET THIS HAPPEN!
- Confirmed: Democrat Elissa Slotkin in Michigan Never Voted in MI, Never Owned Property in MI, Owns Home in DC Swamp
- Midterm 2018 – MICHIGAN: Pro-Israel Rep. Mike Bishop (R) vs. Elissa Slotkin (D) Backed By Anti-Israel Group