Jaime Herrera Beutler
|Jaime Herrera Beutler|
|U.S. Representative from Washington's 3rd Congressional District|
From: January 3, 2011 – present
|Successor||Incumbent (no successor)|
|Former State Representative from Washington's 18th District|
From: November 29, 2007 – January 3, 2011
Jaime Herrera Beutler (surname pronounced "Butler"; born November 3, 1973 in Glendale, California) is a Republican member of the 112th Congress serving in the U.S. House of Representatives for Washington's 3rd Congressional District. Congresswoman Herrera Beutler has represented Washington's 3rd congressional district since 2011, succeeding retired Democrat Brian Baird. She is the first Latina to represent Washington state. Jaime Herrera Beutler grew up in Southwest Washington, attended the University of Washington earning her B.A. degree in Communications, and currently lives with her husband Daniel Beutler in Camas, Washington. She was homeschooled through ninth grade.
Despite once being elected as a conservative rising star, Herrera Beutler has become increasingly liberal in the House. She openly opposed and voted against Donald Trump's successful bid for president in 2016, instead writing in Paul Ryan. She was one of only 10 Republicans who voted in favor of the second House impeachment attempt against Trump in mid-January 2021, subsequently facing backlash from constituents.
Before becoming Washington state's new representative in Congress, Herrera Beutler served as a state representative since 2006. Herrera Beutler's first bill as a state representative was a bipartisan proposal to give tax relief to business owners serving in the military, and was signed into law on March 27, 2008.
U.S. House of Representatives
Congresswoman Herrera Beutler was an outspoken opponent of both the federal stimulus bills and ObamaCare, and she has acknowledged feeling "let down" by Republicans as well as Democrats regarding their failure to get federal spending under control, according to reports by Newsmax magazine. She has also called for extending the Bush tax cuts permanently. In the January 2011 issue of Newsmax magazine was a review of 12 stand out freshmen representatives (out of more than 72 new members) in Congress, which included Jaime Herrera Beutler, listing her as one of the "12 stars of the freshmen class."
First Bill as a Member of Congress
Jaime Herrera Beutler officially introduced her first bill as a member of Congress on March 10, 2011, entitled the "Savings Start With Us" Act of 2011. Her first bill will save taxpayers millions of dollars by cutting salaries of members of Congress, the President and Vice President of the United States by 10-percent.
Along with RINO representative Brian Fitzpatrick, Herrera Beutler joined all Democrats in mid-December 2019 in voting for H.R.3 to impose government price controls as a means to lower drug prices. Despite its intentions, the bill would only weaken research in the private sector and become costly in the long term if passed and signed.
In late July 2020, Herrera Beutler voted in favor of removing Civil War-era statues. On September 17, 2020, she voted in favor of a bill sponsored by far-left Democrat Grace Meng to condemn the use of the term "Chinese virus" as being "racist".
Herrera Beutler currently serves on the House Committee on Appropriations. Jaime was previously a member of the House Committee on Small Business.
- House Committee on Appropriations
- Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, Education and Related Agencies
- Subcommittee on Legislative Branch
- U.S. Joint Economic Committee
Congressional Caucuses and Organizations
- Congressional Caucus for Women's Issues (Chair)
- Women and the Economy/Business Task Force (Co-chair)
- House Energy Action Team (HEAT)
- Jaime Herrera Beutler from an interview with Time magazine:
|“||Congress is spending money in an attempt to get us out of this economic crisis, not realizing that overspending is the crisis.||”|
- Herrera Beutler said the following after officially introducing her first bill as a Member of Congress:
|“||We’ve voted to reduce our massive deficit by billions in order to create a better environment for job creators – but we haven’t cut a dime from our own paychecks. The savings ought to start with us.||”|
- Jaime Herrera Beutler, FamousHomeschoolers.net
- Dake, Lauren (October 11, 2016). Herrera Beutler denounces Trump, will vote for Ryan. The Daily News. Retrieved February 17, 2021.
- Two references:
- Hair, Calley (January 15, 2021). Herrera Beutler's Impeachment Vote Sees Backlash From Republicans in Her Home County. The Daily Chronicle. Retrieved February 17, 2021.
- Colton, Emma (January 18, 2021). GOP representative who voted for Trump impeachment faces backlash and possible primary challenges. Washington Examiner. Retrieved February 17, 2021.
- Hyde, David (February 9, 2021). Republican Jaime Herrera Beutler defends impeachment vote amid backlash. kuow.org. Retrieved February 17, 2021.
- Andrew Stiles and Katrina Trinko. "12 Stars of the Freshmen Class." Newsmax magazine, Jan 2011: 59.
- To provide for a 10 percent reduction in pay for Members of Congress, the President, and the Vice President. H.R. 1012: Savings Start With Us Act of 2011, govtrack.us, (Accessed April 20, 2011).
- Moran, Sean (February 26, 2019). Thirteen Republicans Voted for Ending Trump’s National Emergency to Build the Wall. Breitbart News. Retrieved February 17, 2021.
- Herrera Beutler denounces Trump's plan to declare national emergency. The Daily News. Retrieved February 17, 2021.
- Sullivan, Peter (December 12, 2021). House passes sweeping Pelosi bill to lower drug prices. The Hill. Retrieved February 17, 2021.
- AMAC Opposes The Lower Drug Costs Now Act of 2019. AMAC. Retrieved February 17, 2021.
- H.R. 3 - Government Price Controls for Prescription Drugs. Heritage Foundation. Retrieved February 17, 2021.
- The List: 72 Republicans Vote with Democrats to Remove Civil War-Era Memorabilia from U.S. Capitol. Breitbart News.
- Roll Call 193 | Bill Number: H. Res. 908. clerk.house.gov.
- Committees. jhb.house.gov. Retrieved February 17, 2021.
- Jaime Herrera Beutler - Congresswoman for the 3rd District of Washington
- Voting Record - Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler
- JaimeHerreraBeutler - Twitter
- Jaime Herrera - Facebook
- Local View: Herrera ready for new role as congresswoman - op-ed about Jaime Herrera's priorities for serving Southwest Washington
- YouTube channel