|Former U.S. Representative from California's 21st Congressional District|
From: January 3, 2013 – January 3, 2019
David Goncalves Valadao (born April 14, 1977, age 45) is a former member of the United States House of Representatives from California, having served from the 21st congressional district from 2013 to 2019. However, despite being defeated for re-election in 2018, he won a rematch in 2020 to serve for the 117th Congress.
U.S. House of Representatives
Valadao won election to the United States House of Representatives in 2012, defeating Democrat John Hernandez by 15% of the vote.
Rep. Valadao handily won re-election in 2014 with 57.8% of the vote.
Valadao won re-election in 2016, defeating Democrat Emilio Huerta by over 10% of the vote.
Due to a blue wave in the 2018 midterm elections, Valadao lost his re-election bid to Democrat T.J. Cox by less than 1% of the vote.
Valadao ran in the 2020 U.S. House elections to gain back his old seat.
In the primary held on March 3, 2020 (in California state law, a single primary is held for all candidates regardless of party affiliation), Valadao finished first place with just over 50% of the vote, while Cox finished second with less than 40%.
The general election was rated by Inside Elections as "tilt" Democrat, while Politico and The Cook Political Report have rated it as a "tossup".
Valadao defeated Rep. Cox by a narrow margin to take back the House seat.
Ranked overall as a relatively strong conservative by GovTrack, Valadao's only notable liberal position is on immigration, being an outspoken advocate of immigration “reform” and having received a “D+” rating from NumbersUSA. He supports mass-amnesty for illegal aliens.
He voted for Trump's second impeachment along with 9 other House Republicans. He also voted for Pelosi's witch-hunt Commission.
- David Young, former U.S. representative from Iowa's 3rd district
- ↑ Religious affiliation of members of 115th Congress
- ↑ California's 21st Congressional District elections, 2012
- ↑ California's 21st Congressional District elections, 2014
- ↑ California U.S. House 21st District Results: David Valadao Wins
- ↑ California Election Results: 21st House District
- ↑ 2020 California primary results
- ↑ House Ratings | Inside Elections
- ↑ Who wins 2020? House Election Predictions - Politico
- ↑ 2020 House Race ratings | The Cook Political Report
- ↑ California Election Results: 21st Congressional District
- ↑ Rep. David Valadao - GovTrack
- ↑ Valadao Calls On GOP Leadership To Address Immigration Reform
- ↑ This California Republican takes a daring stand on overhauling immigration
- ↑ David Valadao | Numbers USA
- ↑ https://bigleaguepolitics.com/ten-republican-sell-outs-in-congress-have-hopped-on-board-with-democrats-to-pass-a-farmworker-amnesty-bill/
- ↑ https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/05/19/35-house-republicans-vote-for-bill-to-establish-january-6-commission/
- Moderate Republicans
- 113th United States Congress
- 114th United States Congress
- 115th United States Congress
- 117th United States Congress
- Republican Establishment
- Amnesty Republicans
- Never Trumpers
- Republican Main Street Partnership
- House RINOs
- Pro LGBT Republicans