|U.S. Representative from Illinois's 8th District|
From: January 3, 2011 – January 3, 2013
|Spouse(s)||Laura Walsh (1987 - 2002)|
Helene Miller (2006 - present)
William Joseph "Joe" Walsh (born December 27, 1961 in North Barrington, Illinois) is a philanthropist, former Republican U.S. Representative, and conservative talk radio host-turned anti-Trump activist.
U.S. House of Representatives
Walsh was elected to the United States House of Representatives on November 2, 2010 in Illinois's 8th congressional district, defeating Democrat incumbent Melissa Bean by 291 votes in a surprising upset. After his district was gerrymandered by the Democrats in control of the Illinois state government, Walsh lost his re-election bid in 2012 to liberal Democrat Tammy Duckworth.
Talk radio host
Walsh declared that if Hillary Clinton were elected president in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, he would run for president himself in 2020. Since Donald Trump defeated her, Walsh chose not to run. However, Walsh began to vocally favor the Robert Mueller investigation and increasingly criticized President Trump, eventually rescinding his endorsement of the president and calling him a "traitor." He August 2019, he publicly stated his interest in challenging President Trump in the 2020 Republican primary, supported by liberals such as Bill Kristol and The New York Times. He also attempted to convince establishment Never-Trumper George Conway to join his potential campaign. On August 25, 2019, Walsh announced he would run against President Trump, and he suggested using the Twenty-Fifth Amendment against the president.
- Sroka, Diana (November 11, 2010). Breaking down how Joe Walsh turned tide vs. Melissa Bean. Northwest Herald. Retrieved on February 28, 2014.
- Sweet, Lynn. "Re. Joe Walsh, Tea Party leader gets boost from Club for Growth", Chicago Sun-Times, July 27, 2011. Retrieved on August 16, 2011.
- Lynne Sweet. "Illinois Republican House incumbents sue state over Democratic remap", Chicago Sun-Times, July 27, 2011. Retrieved on September 7, 2011.
- "Duckworth defeats Walsh in congressional contest", November 7, 2012. Retrieved on November 7, 2012.
- "Former Rep. Joe Walsh to Host Radio Show", Northwest Herald, March 15, 2013. Retrieved on November 9, 2015.
- The Joe Walsh Show. walshfreedom.com. Retrieved on July 27, 2016.
- Wednesday, February 8, 2017. Talkers. February 8, 2017. Retrieved February 17, 2018.
- This Former Congressman Stated He’d Run For President In 2020 If Hillary Clinton Wins Future Female Leaders. Retrieved August 27, 2016.
- Caplan, Joshua (July 16, 2018). Damage Control: Joe Walsh Calls Trump ‘Traitor’ After Sacha Baron Cohen Humiliation. Breitbart News. Retrieved July 17, 2018.
- Vogt, Bailey (August 15, 2019). Joe Walsh: Trump an 'unfit con man' who needs to be primaried in 2020. The Washington Times. Retrieved August 15, 2019.
- Caplan, Joshua (August 22, 2019). Joe Walsh: I’m ‘Strongly, Strongly Considering’ a Primary Challenge to Trump. Breitbart News. Retrieved August 22, 2019.
- Pollak, Joel B. (August 22, 2019). New York Times and Never Trump’s Bill Kristol Want Joe Walsh to Primary Trump. Breitbart News. Retrieved August 22, 2019.
- Chamberlain, Will (August 22, 2019). Bill Kristol Wants Joe Walsh To Primary President Trump. Human Events. Retrieved August 22, 2019.
- Yilek, Caitlin (August 23, 2019). Joe Walsh trying to woo George Conway to join his campaign. Washington Examiner. Retrieved August 23, 2019.
- Multiple references:
- Key, Pam (August 25, 2019). Joe Walsh Will Primary Trump in 2020 — I’m Running Because Trump Is Unfit, ‘He’s Nuts’. Breitbart News. Retrieved August 25, 2019.
- Swoyer, Alex (August 25, 2019). Joe Walsh announces primary challenge: 'We can't take four more years of Donald Trump'. The Washington Times. Retrieved August 25, 2019.
- Pandolfo, Chris (August 26, 2019). ‘Unfit con man’: Ridiculous hypocrite Joe Walsh challenges President Trump for 2020 GOP nomination. Conservative Review. Retrieved August 26, 2019.
- Blitzer, Ronn (August 25, 2019). Joe Walsh laments past controversial statements while blasting Trump: 'He's a child'. Fox News. Retrieved August 25, 2019.
- Key, Pam (August 25, 2019). Walsh: Employing the 25th Amendment ‘Should Be Looked At’. Breitbart News. Retrieved August 25, 2019.