Sadiq Khan (born October 8, 1970) is the first Islamic politician to head a major European capital as Mayor of London. He is a left-winger and a Fabian socialist. He succeeded Boris Johnson as mayor after a bitter campaign facing the son of a billionaire, Zac Goldsmith. Khan entered the House of Commons in 2005 and rose through the ranks of the Labour Party as Shadow Minister for London. He is known for his vocal anti-Trump stances, as well as the massive increases in crime London has been during his tenure.
After Khan has spent time criticizing the United States president and even appeared in a pro-abortion video on the eve of Trump's visit to the U.K., a convicted terrorist with Mayor Khan's same common Pakistani last name went on a killing rampage in late 2019 near London bridge.
Khan is of Pakistani descent, married to Saadiya Ahmed, and they have two children.
Links to extremism
Several conservative organizations have highlighted Khan's ties to Islamic extremism and other questionable activities that he has been associated with. Here are some examples of these concerns:
- In 2001 he was the lawyer for the Nation of Islam in its successful High Court bid to overturn the 15-year-ban on its demagogic leader, Louis Farrakhan.
- In 2005 and 2006 he visited terror-charged Babar Ahmad in Woodhill Prison. Mr. Ahmed was extradited to the U.S. in 2012, serving time in prison before being returned to the UK in 2015. Mr. Ahmed pleaded guilty to the terrorist offenses of conspiracy and providing material support to the Taliban.
- Khan also campaigned for the release and repatriation of Shaker Aamer, Britain's last Guantanamo detainee, who was returned to the UK in November.
- Khan has campaigned with Suliman Gani, an imam who supports female subservience to men and who has called for the founding of an Islamic state.
- Khan has blamed terrorism on UK government policy
- Khan has defended Zacarias Moussaoui, a 9/11 terrorist who admitted to being a member of Al Qaeda
Mayor of London
- See also: European migrant crisis#United Kingdom
Khan was elected Mayor of London in 2016, becoming the first Muslim to hold the position. During Khan's tenure, nearly every category of crime, including knife crime, gun crime, theft, burglary, rape, and homicide, saw massive increases, and he devoted the city government's resources to prosecuting "hate crimes" (merely offensive speech, often on social media) against Muslims. Khan was even forced to do a U-turn on his promise to end the effective law enforcement practice of "stop and search" after the massive crime increases were reported. Even as London's government focused on "hate crimes", less than 5% of robberies were solved in the city.
In late 2017, Khan called on the UK government to make a "full and formal" apology for an Indian massacre that happened nearly 100 years prior.
Khan has feuded with conservative U.S. President Donald Trump numerous times during his tenure, with him frequently calling for the UK government to prevent the president from visiting Britain and with President Trump criticizing him and his left-wing policies. Khan had endorsed Hillary Clinton in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, and his endorsement cost London taxpayers £39,806 due to a trip he made to the U.S. effectively to campaign for Clinton. In January 2018, Trump supporters disrupted a speech Khan made to the left-wing Fabian Society. According to the former UK Ambassador to the U.S. Sir Nigel Sheinwald, Khan's moves were hurting Britain's chances at securing a free trade deal with the U.S. In May 2018, Khan stated that "we have a responsibility" to condemn tweets by Trump that he disapproved of, but not to condemn human rights abuses by authoritarian leaders. Additionally, while Khan strongly opposed limiting free speech for anti-Trump protestors in London simply "because somebody's feelings might be hurt", he strongly supports censoring Twitter to avoid hurting the feelings of those whose views align with his. Also, he denied free speech rights by banning a pro-Trump rally at the U.S. embassy in London, and his government removed a satirical painting of himself just before the protests because it was "offensive." Khan spent a disproportionate amount of energy opposing Trump over combating the London's rising crime rate, and he also used his time to attack other conservatives.
Under Khan's tenure, London overtook New York City as having the largest number of murders for the first time since 1800. In March 2018, the murder rate had risen 44% compared to the previous year. Khan responded to the massive crime increase to the Conservative Party, despite his own policy changes. In 2018, U.S. President Donald Trump harshly criticized Khan's crime and terrorism policies. Since the UK already had excessive gun control laws, Khan proposed banning knives and even cars as a response to the crime and terrorism. Knife crime in the entire UK reached a record high in 2018–2019, and London's rate continued to increase to record levels. In 2019, the number of people murdered in London reached its highest level in a decade.
In only three years into Khan's tenure, violent crime in London's underground subway system increased by 43%.
- Telegraph Freaks Out Over Breitbart and Drudge ‘LondonisKhan’ Headlines. Breitbart News. May 7, 2016. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Kassam, Raheem (May 3, 2016). London Is About To Elect A Muslim Mayor Who Has Defended Islamists, 9/11 Terrorists, And Who Is Endorsed By Anti-Semites. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- LIVE WIRE — Sadiq Khan Elected London’s First Muslim Mayor. Breitbart News. May 6, 2016. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Kassam, Raheem (January 2, 2018). Sadiq’s London: Knife Crime, Gun Crime, Theft, Burglary, Rape, Homicide all MASSIVELY Up. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 14, 2018.Br>See also:
- Shaw, Adam (July 30, 2018). Anti-Trump London Mayor Sadiq Khan under fire for 'pathetic' response to crime surge. Fox News. Retrieved July 30, 2018.
- Deacon, Liam (August 16, 2016). London Mayor To Set Up Police ‘Online Hate Crime Hub’ In ‘Partnership’ With Social Media Firms. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Deacon, Liam (January 11, 2018). London Mayor Flips on ‘Stop and Search’ After Breitbart Exposé of Capital Crime Epidemic. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Duke, Selwyn (June 20, 2018). London Called “Wild West”: Fewer Than 5% of Robberies Solved — But “Hate Crimes” Still Priority. The New American. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- Friedman, Victoria (December 9, 2017). London Mayor Sadiq Khan Demands UK Apologise for Century-Old Indian Massacre. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Multiple references:
- Pace, Julie; Lucey, Catherine (June 5, 2017). Trump criticizes London's mayor, again. Fox News (from the Associated Press). Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- London Mayor Khan suggests calling off Trump state visit to Britain. Fox News. June 6, 2017. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- London's Khan blasts Trump's rhetoric, makes comparison to ISIS. Fox News. September 24, 2017. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Deacon, Liam (November 30, 2017). London’s Muslim Mayor Calls for Trump Ban After Retweets, Church of England Demands Apology from President. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Lane, Oliver JJ (December 26, 2017). ‘Not Welcome’: London’s Muslim Mayor Repeats Calls to Cancel Trump Visit. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Multiple references:
- London’s Muslim Mayor Backs Clinton For U.S. President. Breitbart News (from Reuters). September 16, 2016. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Boyle, Christina (May 16, 2016). London's first Muslim mayor calls Trump 'ignorant' and supports Clinton. Los Angeles Times. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Skwirczynski, Przemek (October 8, 2016). Khan: The £39,806 Cost of Hillary Clinton’s Campaign to London Taxpayers. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Multiple references:
- Montgomery, Jack (January 13, 2018). SAD KHAN! Protesters Disrupt Mayor’s Speech as Londoners Wake Up to Sadiq’s ‘Sh*thole’. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Marshall, Francesca (January 13, 2018). Pro-Trump supporters crash Fabian conference in protest of Sadiq Khan. The Telegraph. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Blake, Andrew (January 13, 2018). Trump supporters disrupt speech by London’s Mayor Sadiq Khan. The Washington Times. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Montgomery, Jack (January 14, 2018). Former UK-US Ambassador: Posturing of Sadiq Khan and Others Could Kill Post-Brexit Trade Deals. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Deacon, Liam (May 17, 2018). Mayor Khan Says UK Has a ‘Responsibility’ to ‘Call Out’ Trump for Tweets, But Not Saudi Arabia. Breitbart News. Retrieved May 17, 2018.
- Rogen, Tom (July 13, 2018). London Mayor Sadiq Khan's two-faced free speech approach. Washington Examiner. Retrieved July 13, 2018.
- Montgomery, Jack (July 14, 2018). ‘Free Speech Is Dead’ – Police in Khan’s London BAN Pro-Trump Rally at U.S. Embassy. Breitbart News. Retrieved July 14, 2018.
- Deacon, Liam (July 19, 2018). London Removed ‘Offensive’ Mayor Khan Mural Weeks Before Allowing Trump Baby Balloon. Breitbart News. Retrieved July 19, 2018.
- Mikelionis, Lukas (July 14, 2018). Critics slam 'embarrassing' Mayor Sadiq Khan for feuding with Trump while London faces rising crime, knife deaths. Fox News. Retrieved July 14, 2018.
- Montgomery, Jack (September 1, 2019). Khan Brands Trump ‘Global Poster Boy for White Nationalism’, Attacks Polish Govt, Farage, Orban, Salvini. Breitbart News. Retrieved September 1, 2019.
- Multiple references:
- Montgomery, Jack (April 1, 2018). Murders in London Overtake New York for First Time Since 1800 Under Sadiq Khan. Breitbart News. Retrieved April 1, 2018.
- Carbone, Christopher (April 1, 2018). London murder rate beats New York for month as stabbings surge. Fox News. Retrieved April 2, 2018.
- Duke, Selwyn (April 5, 2018). "War Zone" Crime Wave: Khan Fiddles While London Burns. The New American. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- Hawkins, Awr (April 2, 2018). How it Happened: More Homicides in Gun-Controlled London than in New York City. Breitbart News. Retrieved April 2, 2018.
- Steyn, Mark (April 2, 2018). Diversity unto Death - Literally. Steyn Online. Retrieved April 2, 2018.
- Byas, Steve (April 3, 2018). London’s Rising Murder Rate Raises Questions About Gun Control. The New American. Retrieved April 4, 2018.
- Hale, Virginia (May 20, 2018). Murder Surges 44 Per Cent in Khan’s London Amidst ‘Troubling’ Rise in Serious Crime. Breitbart News. Retrieved May 20, 2018.
- Deacon, Liam (April 4, 2018). Khan Responds to Knife Crime Surge, Blames Tories. Breitbart News. Retrieved April 4, 2018.
- Montgomery, Jack (July 13, 2018). Trump Crushes Khan: London Mayor Has Done ‘Terrible Job’ on Terrorism, Crime. Breitbart News. Retrieved July 13, 2018.
- Duke, Selwyn (August 16, 2018). Combating Terrorism: Ban Guns, Ban Knives, and Now, Says London Mayor, Ban Cars. The New American. Retrieved August 16, 2018.
- Multiple references:
- Pearce, Tim (July 18, 2019). 'Epidemic': Knife crime hits record high in the UK. Washington Examiner. Retrieved July 18, 2019.
- Ozimek, Tom (July 19, 2019). Knife Crime Hits Record High in UK, London Mayor Blames Spike on ‘Austerity’. The Epoch Times. Retrieved July 19, 2019.
- Montgomery, Jack (July 21, 2019). Trump: Londoners ‘Will Never Have Safe Streets’ Under ‘Incompetent’ Sadiq Khan. Breitbart News. Retrieved July 21, 2019.
- Friedman, Victoria (September 27, 2019). Khan’s London: Murder Rate Set to Surpass Last Year’s Decade-High Level. Breitbart News. Retrieved September 28, 2019.
- Zindulka, Kurt (January 4, 2020). Khan’s London: Murder Rate Reaches Decade High as Knife Killings Surge. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 4, 2020.
- Friedman, Victoria (January 18, 2019). Khan’s London: Violent Crime on Underground Up 43 Percent. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 19, 2019.