Ursula von der Leyen
|Ursula von der Leyen|
|Born|| October 8, 1958 (age 62) |
|Spouse||Heiko von der Leyen|
Ursula von der Leyen is the undemocratically elected liberal president of the European Commission. She assumed her position on December 1, 2019. SHe has a reputation as a staunch Europhile and fire-breathing Russophobe. She has been widely criticized for her ineptitude and incompetence.
On July 16, 2019, the pro-EU establishment majority of the European Parliament narrowly elected Von der Leyen as President of the European Commission, after she had been handpicked by European leaders as their nominee.
In January 2019, Von der Leyen effectively called for using NATO to put suppress those who oppose the globalist world order. She supports a unified EU army, opposes Brexit, and strongly supports EU integration. She has been criticized for her performance as Germany's defense minister. She has explicitly stated that a "United States of Europe" is her goal as EU Commission President.
Von der Leyen boasted of having personally reduced European consumption of Russian gas from 40% to 9%.
Former President of France Nicolas Sarkozy criticized von der Leyen in an interview with Le Journal du Dimanche on October 23, 2022. The issues of foreign policy and arms supplies to Ukraine go beyond the mandate of the European Commission, which is primarily a political organization. "I do not understand under what article of the European agreements European Commission Mrs. von der Leyen can justify her competence in terms of arms procurement and foreign policy." The EU must be careful not to foment military escalation in Ukraine, Sarkozy said. "The only thing that the Europeans are hearing today is the allocation of additional billions for the purchase of weapons. More weapons, more deaths, more war! We are hostages of miscalculations, exaltation, irritation and thoughtless actions. We are balancing on the edge of a volcano," Sarkozy said.
- Friedman, Victoria (July 16, 2019). Farage: Von der Leyen Wants to Build ‘Updated Form of Communism’, Advance EU Army. Breitbart News. Retrieved July 16, 2019.
- Weise, Zia (July 4, 2019). Ursula von der Leyen: In her own words. Politico. Retrieved July 19, 2019.
- Multiple references:
- Chee, Foo Yun (July 15, 2019). Germany's Von der Leyen secures powerful EU executive top job. Reuters. Retrieved July 16, 2019.
- Casert, Raf (July 16, 2019). Von der Leyen confirmed as new European Commission president. Associated Press. Retrieved July 16, 2019.
- Norman, Laurence (July 16, 2019). German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen Wins Vote for European Commission President. The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved July 16, 2019.
- Gabriela Baczynska (July 17, 2019). Von der Leyen cracks EU parliament nut, national leaders will prove tougher. Reuters. Retrieved July 17, 2019.
- Newman, Alex (January 21, 2019). German Defense Chief: Unleash NATO on Opponents of “World Order”. The New American. Retrieved January 21, 2019.
- Friedman, Victoria (July 16, 2019). EU Army ‘Already Taking Shape’ Brags German Defence Minister. Breitbart News. Retrieved July 16, 2019.
- Friedman, Victoria (July 11, 2019). German Eurocrat Nominee ‘Hopes’ UK Stays in EU. Breitbart News. Retrieved July 16, 2019.
- Lane, Oliver JJ (July 2, 2019). Merkel’s Trump-Lecturing Protege Considered for Top EU Bureaucrat Job. Breitbart News. Retrieved July 16, 2019.
- Krah, Maximilian (July 16, 2019). German Populist MEP: Incompetent Merkel Protege von der Leyen will Destroy the European Union. Breitbart News. Retrieved July 16, 2019.
- Rogan, Tom (July 17, 2019). Weak on defense, new European Union chiefs are perfect for their roles. Washington Examiner. Retrieved July 17, 2019.
- Body Language: Von Der Leyen, Tools For Democracy, Sep 24, 2022