Cultural Marxism is a branch of Marxist ideology formulated by the Frankfurt School, which had its origins the early part of the twentieth century. Cultural Marxism comprises much of the foundation of political correctness. It emerged as a response of European Marxist intellectuals disillusioned by the early political failures of conventional economic Marxist ideology.
The central idea of Cultural Marxism is to soften up and prepare Western Civilization for economic Marxism after a gradual, relentless, sustained attack on every institution of Western culture, including schools, literature, art, film, the Judeo-Christian religious tradition, the family, sexual mores, national sovereignty, etc. The attacks are usually framed in Marxist terms as a class struggle between oppressors and oppressed; the members of the latter class allegedly include women, minorities, homosexuals, and adherents of non-Western ideologies such as Islam. Cultural Marxism has been described as "the cultural branch of globalism."
While Marx's Communist Manifesto focused on the alleged class struggle between bourgeois (owners of the means of production) and proletariat (workers), Marx did address culture, which he intimated would change after his economic vision was implemented. Patrick Buchanan argues that Cultural Marxism succeeded where Marx failed.
Think about this: These guys left, THESE GUYS LEFT NAZI GERMANY and Mussolini's Italy to come to California in the 1940's and they lived by the beach, and they were depressed by the relentless cheery-ness - the productivity; and the capitalism that they witnessed around them. And they came up with, at the end of the day; We can call it Cultural Marxism, but at the end of the day, we experience it on a day to day basis, by that I mean a minute by minute, second by second basis. It’s political correctness and it’s multiculturalism.
In the video, Breitbart discusses the Frankfurt School, Critical Theory, Herbert Marcuse, Antonio Gramsci, Max Horkheimer, Theodor Adorno, Bertolt Brecht, and others of the German School, many which emigrated to America. He further wrote about Cultural Marxism more in-depth in his book Righteous Indignation.
Cultural Marxism has become a focal topic for many conspiracy theorist websites which seek to cloak their anti-Semitic, anti-Jew messages behind a legitimate topic. It is true that many of the members of the Frankfurt School were Jewish, but their big problem was that they were Marxists.
Conspiracy theory dismissal
Other sources seek to treat the entire topic as a "conspiracy" itself, by casting Cultural Marxism as a "myth" or a "hoax". Wikipedia has entire section titled Cultural Marxism conspiracy theory within its page for the Frankfurt School.
- Liberal values
- Anthropological Revolution
- Critical theory
- Destroying the family
- Dialectical unity of self-contradictions
- Frankfurt School
- Nimrodian aspirations
- Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
- cf. External source: Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America is a James Jaeger Film with ambition to show how a love affair with collectivist ideologies has lead to ever bigger government and the welfare-warfare state. Lead by a Marxist splinter group called the "Frankfurt School" -- "the long march through the institutions" has infiltrated every corner of Western culture to corrupt traditional Christian values with "political correctness," another name for "cultural Marxism."
- Solway, David (August 23, 2018). Karl Marx hated marriage, and Marxism is marriage’s enemy. LifeSiteNews (from the American Thinker). Retrieved August 28, 2018.
- cf. The tendency of dictatorial ideologies to influence public institutions etc. so that these would serve their agendas is termed as Gleichschaltung.
- Warner, Gerald (February 4, 2015). For the First Time in History, ‘Conservatives’ Are at the Forefront of the Cultural Revolution. Breitbart News. Retrieved December 25, 2017.
- "By the post-War era the Cultural Marxist programme had a wide-reaching agenda of destruction. It aimed to destroy the family, denying the specific roles of the father and mother, and advocated the teaching of sex and homosexuality to children; mobilisation of women as revolutionaries against men, through aggressive feminism; large-scale immigration to abolish national identity; dependency on the state and state benefits; control and infantilisation of the media."
- Cultural Marxism is the #1 Enemy of Western Civilization. Western Mastery. March 23, 2017. Retrieved December 25, 2017.
- Buchanan: ‘Cultural Marxism’ Has Succeeded Where Marx and Lenin Failed, CNSNews
- The Frankfurt school, part 3: Dialectic of Enlightenment
- Dialectic of Enlightenment was written in 1944 by Theodor W. Adorno and Max Horkheimer
- Newman, Alex (August 29, 2018). Socialists Urge Infiltration of Government Schools. The New American. Retrieved August 29, 2018.
- Andrew Breitbart - Media War
- On the Myth of "Cultural Marxism"
- Frankfurt School - Cultural Marxism conspiracy theory
- Cultural Marxism Explained in 7 Minutes, by Joseph T. Salerno at the Mises Institute
- What is cultural Marxism?, at GotQuestions
- Political Correctness / Cultural Marxism, Discover the Networks
- The Roots of Political Correctness, by William S. Lind
- Cultural Marxism Is Destroying America, by Moses Apostaticus, September 29, 2016, The Daily Caller
- Cultural Marxism Is the Enemy: Review of Michael Walsh’s Book ‘The Devil’s Pleasure Palace’, by Austin Ruse, Breitbart News, November 19, 2015.