|U.S. Representative from Iowa's 3rd Congressional District|
From: January 3, 2019 – present
|Successor||Incumbent (no successor)|
Axne said of her constituents, "the anti-vaccine crazies are out there. It's a hot mess. The Christian right is - everything under the guise while they hold a cross for God or whatever..."
U.S. House of Representatives
2018 election in Iowa's 3rd district
Axne has been deceptively portrayed as much more “moderate” than she actually is, such as her own House website calling her a “moderate Democrat” and asserting that she wants to “do more than impeach the president.” Politico has also concurred the narrative that Axne is supposedly a “moderate Democrat”. In addition, a 2019 report card by GovTrack absurdly ranked Axne as the 7th most conservative member out of all House Democrats, even giving her a “0.50” rating between 0 and 1, with ‘0’ being the least conservative and ‘1’ being the most conservative. A chart ranking given for Axne by On the Issues has also been somewhat misleading, as the website's methodology ranks candidates as being more moderate if there is no information given for positions on certain issues. Since seven out of the twenty topics (35%) for Axne had “No opinion on” put in, Axne's left-wing positions were arguably under-represented in the chart.
Despite claims of being a “moderate Democrat”, Axne is endorsed by the extremely pro-abortion EMILY's List, has received a 100% rating from the Planned Parenthood Action Fund in 2019, a 62% rating from the ACLU, a 100% rating from the NEA, a 90% rating from Progressive Punch, and a 93% rating from the League of Conservation Voters.
Axne was accused of failing to disclose up to $645,000 in stock trades. Reports also found that she had bought and sold stocks in companies she was tasked to oversee as a member of the House Financial Services Committee.
- Elissa Slotkin, Democrat from Michigan's 8th district
- Haley Stevens, Democrat from Michigan's 11th district
- Iowa's 3rd Congressional District election, 2018
- Moderate Democrats call out McConnell on vote delay on Mexico-Canada trade deal
- Moderate Democrats call out McConnell on vote delay on Mexico-Canada trade deal from Politico
- 2019 Report Cards | GovTrack
- Cindy Axne on the Issues
- Federal Candidates | EMILY's List
- Cindy Axne's Ratings and Endorsements
- U.S. Rep. Cindy Axne failed to disclose up to $645k in stock trades, government watchdog says.
- Financial Services dem Buys and Sells Finance Stocks.